Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my first 1966 Mustang. It's a six cylinder I6 and as I've come to find out, all I6 models from that year are 4lug. I'm trying to figure out if its safe to go with wheel spacers on this model so I can fit five lug Torque D Thrust wheels. Current rims on the car are 14x6 rims. I've been told by some people that going with wheel spacers are not recommended and to steer away from them but others suggest that I should go with them. Are wheel spacers in this situation recommended or should I just wait to save and do a whole four to five lug conversion? Thanks for your interest and help!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Spacers do not have a strong reputation for being safe. It would seem your best bet is to change your suspension to run 5 lug wheels. Expensive, but necessary.
Best,
Al

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
+1 on the axle swap. Wheel lugs do not like having the nut farther out than necessary. Also, I've never heard of 4-lug to 5-lug adapters.

You'd need to swap your axles and use 5-lug brakes front and rear. I'd also recommend stepping up to V8 suspension, just because. It's not necessary if you don't do any hard driving, but it might last a bit longer than the 6-cyl suspension.

·
Registered
157 Posts
+1 on the axle swap. Wheel lugs do not like having the nut farther out than necessary. Also, I've never heard of 4-lug to 5-lug adapters.

You'd need to swap your axles and use 5-lug brakes front and rear. I'd also recommend stepping up to V8 suspension, just because. It's not necessary if you don't do any hard driving, but it might last a bit longer than the 6-cyl suspension.
There is no such thing as a V8 suspension aside from the springs; 6 cylinder control arms are the same as V8. To upgrade to 5 lug, I recommend that the spindles and steering linkage be replaced with V8 types. Of course, the rear end would need to be upgraded as well. The 8" rear end from a 75-80 Ford has the same mounting configuration and has 10" 5 lug drum brakes. The Granada rear end is 3/4" wider than a 65-66 Mustang, but this is not usually an issue.

Naturally, I'd recommend front disc brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts