Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm in the process of installing Front Disc Brakes on my 1966 289 Mustang. I have installed the disc brakes and am now working on the master cylinder installation and the residual and proportioning valve. I don't have a how-to-guide on installing the residual and proportioning valve and really don't know the best place to install each one. I've heard it's best to install the residual valve as close the MC as possible but don't know. Also I don't know where it's best to install the proportioning valve. Should I install it closer to the firewall or can I put it further back on the brake line? Also what is the best way to cut into the brake line?

Thanks for your help,
Mustang Mo

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I think my proportioning valve is right next to the firewall. Fits well, and easy to access. If you want, I can take a shot of my setup tomorrow and post back.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Also I don't know where it's best to install the proportioning valve. Should I install it closer to the firewall or can I put it further back on the brake line? Also what is the best way to cut into the brake line?
Early 67 Mustangs had the proportioning valve on the underbody at the rear axle. Put it where you can reach it. My factory 66 valve is below the LH hood hinge.

The line connections are inverted flares, with double-flaring. Special tools are required.

·
Registered
400 Posts
A neat and tidy way to solve this issue is by installing a combination valve (metering and proportioning). Plus it seems to be a little more efficient and safe by allowing the rear drums to engage slightly before the front disks which helps keep the car in a straight line when braking. These are usually plumbed close to the master cylinder. I know it sucks to have GM technology in a Ford, but sometimes you have to just suck it up. Their HEI distributors are awesome too.

BRAKE COMBINATION VALVE DISC / DRUM 1965-1973 | CJ Pony Parts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts