Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a G3 alternator swap and now my engine seems to be not firing quite right. Can changing to a 130A alternator affect this?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind, I figured it out. Coincidently my spark plug wire melted to my header. 3g swap seems to be working fine:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just curious to know if you pulled the alternator from another car or you purchased a new alternator. I'm contemplating the same swap, and I'm curious to know what alternators people are using. Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just curious to know if you pulled the alternator from another car or you purchased a new alternator. I'm contemplating the same swap, and I'm curious to know what alternators people are using. Thanks!
When I did this swap, I got mine out of a '95 thunderbird with a 3.8 liter motor at the local "pick n pull" for like $28. You could go either way, new or used but it's a lot cheaper if you just get one out of a donor car. The alternators out of the '94-'97 thunderbirds should work just fine. You just have to play with the pulley to get it to line up so that it doesn't squeal. And make sure it has the 3.liter engine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another problem I had too was that I had underdeive pulleys which messed up the pulley ratio for the alternator to charge right. So I had to go with a smaller diameter pulley for the alternator.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the late reply, I got mune off a 1995 Mustang GT at the junk yard. Since I did the swap though the junker alternator went bad so I took my old 60amp alt as a core on a new 3g alt. In retrospect I wish a would have bought new right off the bat. As far as the pully goes I fabricated a piece of aluminum to attach to the mounting bracket to make the bracket about 3" longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts