Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to adjust the hinge so that it no longer scrapes against the dash. I plan to repaint the dash soon so need to take care of this first. I can't seem to find where the hinge attaches to the dash so that I can adjust it (if possible). I included a few pics so you can see where it's binding on the hinge and dash.

Also, what size are the bolts that attach the door to the hinge? The PO has a mishmash of screws that don't do the job. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm not sure I completely understand your problem but here goes.

The hinge has a minor adjustment where it bolts to the dash. Most of the adjustment is with the glove box door itself. The hinge should never hit the dash at all. There is a steel wire that attaches to the door which keeps it from dropping down against the dash. Make sure that's in place. Then make your adjustments with the door in small increments until you get it the way you want. The striker bar also has a small adjustment so you can get the door to latch properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's my problem. There's a small square of material missing from the glove box door right where the square post should be that the cable attaches to. I guess a new glove box door is in order. Too bad I already bought a woodgrain insert and emblem to repair the original door.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm not sure I completely understand your problem but here goes.

The hinge has a minor adjustment where it bolts to the dash. Most of the adjustment is with the glove box door itself. The hinge should never hit the dash at all. There is a steel wire that attaches to the door which keeps it from dropping down against the dash. Make sure that's in place. Then make your adjustments with the door in small increments until you get it the way you want. The striker bar also has a small adjustment so you can get the door to latch properly.
I'm having problems getting my glove box door to where it will shut more. Its ok, but it used to shut all the way when closed. The inside latch (small piece) broke & i replaced it. I cant seem to get the top of lid to close about another 1/2" so that you cant see in it when its closed, like you can now. I have messed with it several times & cant get it adjusted close enough.

Wow, thats a pretty sweet pic of the dash. Wish mine was lookin that good. Wheres the light fixture for the glove box? I see the button is there. Reason im asking is because my light fixture came up missing after being in the shop once back about 10 yrs ago. I still dont understand how the actual light bulb fixture hooks up to the push button. (I know, I still need to go to Veronica's wiring diagrams to check!) But if you know, you can tell me. Thanx

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
snehulak: Sorry about the glove box door. Those things are pretty spendy. Replacing it is the only way to go if you want to do it right. :bigthumbsup

6T6: Make sure your striker isn't reversed. The first time I installed mine, I had a 3/4"-1" gap. Turned the striker around and the problem was solved. The latch itself has no adjustment to speak of. Everything is done with the striker. Also make sure your door is properly positioned on the hinge.

On the glove box light, mine works fine. It's an easy set up. It gets the power from the door courtesy light. You really need to check Veronica's site or use the wiring diagrams at the top of the "Classic Tech" page. They are both life savers. Good Luck. :winks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
6T6: Make sure your striker isn't reversed. The first time I installed mine, I had a 3/4"-1" gap. Turned the striker around and the problem was solved. The latch itself has no adjustment to speak of. Everything is done with the striker. Also make sure your door is properly positioned on the hinge.

On the glove box light, mine works fine. It's an easy set up. It gets the power from the door courtesy light. You really need to check Veronica's site or use the wiring diagrams at the top of the "Classic Tech" page. They are both life savers. Good Luck. :winks

I was talking about the striker but called it a latch instead. Thanx for the learning. Yes, it is indeed backwards. No wonder it wont close all the way. I looked at another '66 glove box & his was backwards too, but his closed all the way. making me think i had mine on correct. Guess we was wrong. I will fix that tonight.

On the light, in your pic, i see the hole on right side of your glove box but no light? Am i blind or you just didnt get to installing it yet? My light socket fit inside that hole, if i remember right. i do see some light in that hole in your pic... ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts