Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am currently upgrading my i6 to 5 lug bolt pattern, so far the front is complete and I am planning to replace the rear end with a 8" from a 64-66 mustang. Would this be a direct replacement? or will I have to do any mods? Also would the driveshaft work? or need to replace that as well?

I also read that I can just remove the axles and have them drilled to make the new bolt pattern, but I am planning to upgrade the i6 to a V8 (possibly 302) so I think the original rear end won't be suffice.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

66mustangdevil

·
Registered
246 Posts
If your leaving the six cylinder and transmission in there will be changes to the driveshaft such as the ujoints not being the same. I wouldn't advise drilling out your axles and making them 5 lug unless the person really knows what he's doing and can balance the axles properly. Since you want to put a 8 cylinder in, I'd wait and do all at once. Here's a great article on V8 Conversion.

Six Cylinder Eight Swap How To Photo 5

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the article! That will come in handy. I will do the rear end swap soon because I want to drive my car, haven't done it for a few months. Based on your comments seems like switching to a 8" rear end should not be that hard. thank you!

·
Registered
471 Posts
The drive shaft for the I6 with auto transmission is the same as for a V8 so if your car has a automatic transmission you are good to go. The drive shaft for the I6 with manual transmission is smaller and will not work.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I also have a 6cyl car, and I just replaced the rear end this past weekend. I found a 65/66 rear for $300, replaced all the bearing and seals, cleaned it up and painted it.

I had never done a project like this, but if you take your time and plan things out it's really not too difficult.

Make sure you have 4 good jack stands and a good floor jack. Lots of posts here and on other sites with all the details you need. While you have the rear out, it's the ideal time to upgrade the old saggy springs.

On mine, I replaced all the U Bolts, Shock plates, rear shocks, springs, shackles bushings and bolts. The hardest part is cutting out the front spring bolt, but with a good sawzall blade it's not too bad.

I also replaced the parking brake cable since the old one was pretty bad.

btw - I have a C4 automatic and the driveshaft and u joints mated up fine with the 8" rear end.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have a 6cyl car, and I just replaced the rear end this past weekend. I found a 65/66 rear for $300, replaced all the bearing and seals, cleaned it up and painted it.

I had never done a project like this, but if you take your time and plan things out it's really not too difficult.

Make sure you have 4 good jack stands and a good floor jack. Lots of posts here and on other sites with all the details you need. While you have the rear out, it's the ideal time to upgrade the old saggy springs.

On mine, I replaced all the U Bolts, Shock plates, rear shocks, springs, shackles bushings and bolts. The hardest part is cutting out the front spring bolt, but with a good sawzall blade it's not too bad.

I also replaced the parking brake cable since the old one was pretty bad.

btw - I have a C4 automatic and the driveshaft and u joints mated up fine with the 8" rear end.
Thank you all for your comments! I am glad to know the current driveshaft will work since my car is automatic. va176jb thanks for clearing my worries up and your instructions will help a lot! I've been looking for a rear here in Texas, not easy to find, hopefully I will find one within the next week or so.

Again many thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
make sure you find a rear from a 65/66. the 67/68 is slightly wider and would need to be modified. i can be made to work, but just that - more work

let me know if you need any more info - i took a bunch of pics when i did mine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts