Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here so hope you can help me out.
We're refreshing our 66 red on red coupe and having a little trouble getting someone to mix the 2 shades of interior paint.
Code is 25 (standard interior ) and one of the restoration books says 2 different shades of red are required. Red Irid ( RM code 5773R ) for most parts ( dash, doors etc ) and Burgundy Irid ( RM code 5775M ) for radio speaker grille and windshield lower molding. No one in the area seems to be able to decipher these. Does anyone have mixing formula for any of the major brands?
Had a paint supplier put the ashtray on their machine and it came back that the colour contains a small amount of metal flake. Does this make sense?
Hope you can help as we're trying to return the car to its original glory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most people just paint those parts the same color unless your going for a concourse restoration. Actually I take that back, I think the dash has a different shade of red so perhaps thats why it calls for a different #. Also, Is there any reason for not using rattle cans? Mustang part suppliers sell these in all the interior colors.
Most early interior colors have a fine metallic in them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doing more than just the dash and doors so that's the reason for not going with rattle cans. Have the entire interior out, headliner included, so going to paint the entire inside and back into the trunk.
Am looking for other suppliers paint code numbers ( Dupont, PPG, Sherwin Williams etc ) that a jobber might be able to use to mix up a quart.
Any other comments on interior colours containing small amounts of fleck?

·
Registered
9 Posts
the interior floors, sail panels, package tray, wheel tubs, etc. are actually exterior body color, seamingly, dusted on at the factory. :laugh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that's a great help.
With so much red on the car it's hard to tell where 1 colour leaves off and the next begins.
So, inside of rear quarters, truck floors and drop offs, underside of trunk lid, underside of hood, package tray, passenger floors are all exterior colour, correct?

Still wish I had a Dupont, PPG or Sherwin Williams paint code for the interior colour.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, inside of rear quarters, truck floors and drop offs, underside of trunk lid, underside of hood, package tray, passenger floors are all exterior colour, correct?
Yes, but the factory would miss some areas entirely like the top inner rear quarters depending on how thorough the painter was at the time. Mass production for ya.

Is your paint code T, for Candy Apple Red?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I dont want to jack your thread, but....

I dont mean to hijack your thread, but it is interior color related; and I would hate to start a new thread. I could use some help on interior color as well.

Is there anywhere to get pictures of Interior colors? Also, I am using the decoder listed in this thread, but I dont see 68A. I see 68 only.... does the "A" stand for anything?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi
Going to make the assumption you car is a '66.
One restoration book I have describes 68A as being available on only the fastback and is the deluxe ( ie Pony ) interior. It is white crinkle vinyl and light ivy gold crinkle vinyl.
Hope this helps.
Ted

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi
Going to make the assumption you car is a '66.
One restoration book I have describes 68A as being available on only the fastback and is the deluxe ( ie Pony ) interior. It is white crinkle vinyl and light ivy gold crinkle vinyl.
Hope this helps.
Ted

huh :headscratch:, thats weird that its only available in the fast back; which mine clearly is not. But it is constistant with the 68 code, Ivy gold and White.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My apologies.
I misread the book
Saw that 68A interior code only applied to body code 65B but misread what body code 65B represents. Body code 65B = hardtop, deluxe interior. ( body type 63B = fastback, deluxe interior. )
Sorry for messing up....mea culpa
Hope this clears things up.
Ted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.