Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 289 2 barrel engine and i was wondering just pure
curiousity can i put a dual quad intake manifold on it or it that doing too
much can someone please inform me about this? i actually plan too just convert it into a 4 barrel but i saw that intake manifold and thought i
would post it up on this forum....

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
you can just need to run small carbs like a 470cfm

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, but you won't gain a thing unless you change your stock cam and probably your heads along with it. Just more stuff to leak and you'll still have a dog.

·
Registered
797 Posts
might gain a small amount through better distribution through cylinders but not much gains on a stock engine.

·
Registered
582 Posts
IMHO, the dual 4V small block setups are strictly eye candy. Without exception, any small block running dual 4V carbs will run better with a properly tuned single 4V or 3 X 2's. No matter how small the 4V carbs are, two of them is just too much air/fuel for the motor. Even saw a highly modified Boss 302 running dual 4V's. When I asked him about the performance, he said the motor ran better with one 4V.
Best,
Al

·
Registered
170 Posts
Your single 2 barrel will have more torque and driveability on the street without the added tuning and maintenance required by the dual carbs. The dual carbs don't add any horsepower until you reach a higher RPM range, usually higher than the stock hydraulic cam will allow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would think double the carbs would create double the carb nightmares on something you want to drive regularly. Even if you did get better performance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
On a stock engine, all you're going to gain is eye candy and a conversation piece. Unless upgrading, better to leave as is, or, if determined to go 4V, go with a low rise dual plane manifold and a small 4V. The ford 4V 4100 (1.08) might be a good choice ... ford engineers seemd to think so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx

thanks everybody i was only curious about it but its good to ask before i do anything
crazy on my STANG thanks 4 the great opinions and info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts