Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently replaced carburetor with a new autolite 2100, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, the car will not start unless i spray it with starting fluid then it runs fine. i do have fuel at the accelerator pump however if i look in the carb while trying to start it i see no fuel entering? any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have a couple thoughts. You could have weak spark, which makes starting harder. Since you can get it started with ether, and thereafter it runs fine, I'd say your starting technique may need to be adjusted. As you crank, give the gas a good pump or two. Keep cranking and push your foot to the floor and hold it there. What the pumping accomplishes is it give more gas to the engine. Your accelerator pump will do two or three massive squirts, which should be the same thing as giving it starting fluid.

Welcome to the forum. I am no carb expert, so the others will jump in, but that technique works for me when starting a cold car.

·
Registered
324 Posts
ok question? After you start it with ether and run it for a while. Then shut it off try to restart it immeadiately will it start and run? If it wont restart I dont think you have carb issues. Unless you accelerator pump isnt pumping. There should be plenty of fuel in carb bowl to restart after shut down. This may be a dumb question but are you pumping the gas pedal like Brad said to do? You said you had fuel at the accelerator pump. After running and shut down get out and look into carb opening as you open the throttle quickly several times you should get squirting of fuel into the carb opening. you dont have to be cranking car to do this. You wont usually see any fuel coming out of venturi as you are cranking the car. so looking down in carb while just spinning it over you probably wont see any fuel. But when you step on pedal the accelerator pump squirts fuel out the squirter jets to feed enough fuel for starting. First see if the accel pump works then we will go from there trying some other things. Also how does it run after you start it with ether. Does it run good enough to drive it?

·
Registered
831 Posts
i do have fuel at the accelerator pump however if i look in the carb while trying to start it i see no fuel entering?
How did you determine you have fuel "at the accelerator pump"? Does this mean your bowl is full? What happened when you followed Matt's instructions for watching the fuel squirt?

The above quote is unclear in its meaning. Are you asking if you should see gas with fuel at the accelerator pump, or should that question mark be a period instead?

If your bowl is full of gas, and you floor the throttle, you should get a big squirt. If you don't get a squirt, your accelerator pump linkage may need adjustment, or the pump itself is broken. If the bowl is empty, and thus no squirt, either your fuel pump is broken/damaged or your float is stuck shut or you have a blockage in the fuel line.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here's some tricks I do...

Pull the fuel line from the carb and put a cup or something to catch fuel at the end of the line. Have someone turn the car over and watch that fuel sprays out of the fuel line.

If no fuel, problem is down the line...

If there is fuel, problem is at the carb...

If its the fuel line, check everything from there to the tank to make sure it is clear and working right. (fuel pump, filters, line, pickup in the tank, etc)

If its the carb, I would check the needle and seat, if it is stuck no fuel will enter the bowl and thus none will be pumped into the engine by the accelerator pump.

When my Mustang sits, generally all winter, the needle is always stuck in the spring when I go to start it, gives me the same fits as what you are experiencing. I just pop the top off the carb and pull the needle out, then reassemble it, and all is good with the world.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have recently replaced carburetor with a new autolite 2100, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, the car will not start unless i spray it with starting fluid then it runs fine. i do have fuel at the accelerator pump however if i look in the carb while trying to start it i see no fuel entering? any help is appreciated.
Ahh, I misunderstood a bit...

I also wish to know, how do you know there is fuel at the A/P?

If you are positive there is fuel in the bowl, than I would suspect the pick up is clogged for the A/P... Its been a while since Ive had mine apart, but its either the input is clogged or the jets are clogged.

If that is the case you will need to remove the carb, disassemble it and clean it out. Depending on what is in there, it could be as easy as blowing air backwards through the jets, or soaking it in cleaner. I would get some carb cleaner and shoot it with the little tube through each of the holes where the air or the fuel needs to go until you find the blockage or dislodge the blockage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i do pump the gas. car will start without starting fluid after its been started if its not too long. im not seeing anything like a squirt in the carb when i shut it off and do 2 full pumps of the throttle, more like a fine white mist. i know there is fuel at the accelerator pump because there is an access port on top of it, bowl is also full. where is this needle and spring?

thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
i do pump the gas. car will start without starting fluid after its been started if its not too long. im not seeing anything like a squirt in the carb when i shut it off and do 2 full pumps of the throttle, more like a fine white mist. i know there is fuel at the accelerator pump because there is an access port on top of it, bowl is also full. where is this needle and spring?

thanks
sounds like a restriction then...

the needle and seat are right off the fuel inlet, its what is attached to the floats in the bowl and controls the filling of the bowl. If you have plenty of fuel in the bowl, then the jets are clogged or the inlet to the A/P is clogged. Either way you would need to clear it and I suspect the only way will be to pull it apart. You may get lucky with a spray cleaner into the A/P area and the jets. But the easiest and best way to clear it would be to take it apart and back spray through the jets and A/P. If that makes sense...

You may be able to just pull the A/P and spray in there too, but its all a gamble at this point.

Good Luck
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts