Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I am back looking for advice/instruction. These forums are absolutely wonderful. For a guy trying to do a restoration as he learns, these help a ton.

My current panels are red. I sanded them lightly to clean them up and tried to put primer and paint on them. My intent is to have them black to match the rest of my interior. They came out horrible. Why??? Is there special primer and or paint I should be using or are the really unpaintable??

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Super Moderator
40,075 Posts
i suggest using an etching primer on them....and paint alot of very light coats.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mustang painting inside panels

Hi, I suggest you use paint remover. Strip them down to bare metal,use steel wool to remove the raised paint. It comes in different grades,just like sand paper. 000 to like a No.3 etc. use the courser stuff to start. After all the paint in gone . Then clean them real good with soap & water. Let them dry good then wipe down with lacquer thinner to make sure all residue is gone. Then spray them with primmer that was recommened VERY LIGHT COATS AS YOU DO NOT WANT FILL IN THE GRAIN ON THE PANEL. Then coat with the Color coat. If you are using the mustang color spray cans from the vendors be aware it is very thin. It will take several light coats to cover the panel. Go light and slow as it will want to run! Give it a try! Also the wammer the temp. the better! I have never used the primer before. But it sounded like an excellent idea! To help the paint stick better. GOOD LUCK!! LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.