Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I am at my wits end on a 2 spd wiper motor I purchased and installed a few months back. I tested it and it worked fine. I installed the motor (not the funnest job I have done) and now when I turn the switch, I have to give one of the wiper arms a tug to get it to work. Once in motion, the wipers continue to work. This solution is not a good one since the arms are behind the instrument panel and once I put that in.... You get the idea.

I have slowly made progress on a rewire project for the whole car and am about to button up the dash. I want to resolve the wiper issue though first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have looked at the arms but they aren't touching anything. I just have to tug on the motor to get it to start. It seems there is not enough juice to get it going. Doesn't make sense. I also put some lithium grease on the points of movement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just tinkered with the arms again. Sometimes I have to pull hard to get them to start, they only work on high speed. low doesn't work.

Is it easier to just switch the motor out for a single speed?? will my 2 spd switch work with a one speed motor?

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) I'm assuming that you tested the motor out of the car before you installed it? If so, how exactly did you go about testing it? :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested it by connecting the motor in the car prior to the install. I just did it under the dash.

You must know though, I am in the process of rewiring the car so the dash panel is out and it is pretty accessible.

The motor worked and seemed to be just fine. Once installed.... well that's my problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here I am providing an update to one of the absolute dumbest things I have done. Long story short...

The wiper fluid motor was connected to the ground wire for the motor. :soembarrassed

The connections looked like they were supposed to go together and it had been quite a while since I messed with it and it seemed like the right thing to do.

Here's to hoping no one else makes this stupid move!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just a quick suggestion for the future - if you haven't already, I'd pick up a set of the electrical diagrams. It'll help you wire it back up properly, and in this case potentially help you find the problem faster.

I've rewired my entire car with an updated harness that I made, and I modeled it after the original. Having those diagrams was a lifesaver trying to figure out how things worked together.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip. I used a kwikwire harness and am slowly finishing the task. I would love to be done with this whole project and be drivin the car. final touches on the wiring and interior installation and then I am off to get the headers and exhaust done and wheels and tires. The car is a 66 I6 but it is more of a restomod for the wife and as a result is not concourse quality.

I got the wiring diagrams (blew it up and put it on Poster board Very helpful) and even used Painless's instructions. I just get stumped on some things here and there. This one was just a case of Dumb###!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts