Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing my t5 swap, and just found out that 66 has two clutch sizes... (Way to go ford for making things easy...)

How do I know what Clutch I need? I am using the original bell housing, and someone said that some have 2 bolt starters have one size clutch and 3 bolt starter has a different size clutch, but I am not sure thats correct. I also know that 5 bolt and 6 bolt bell housings mean different size clutches, but I can only see 5 bolts, but that doesnt mean I am not seeing the 6th. I dont have a lift or anything and everything is COVERED in oil so it is really hard to tell. Is there any other way to know what I need without getting under the car and counting things. Vin number, door tag, anything. Does someone have pictures of where the bolts should be so If that is what I have to do, I can know where to look?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
This is what my OLD memory tells me, the V8 have a 2 bolt starter the I6 have a 3 bolt starter, the bell housing has nothing to do with the clutch size, the engine has to do with it, small block V8 are 10" and hi-po 289 10.5" and I6 are like 9.0". But there is more information you need for your T5 swap, hopefully some of the others that have done it will provide the info you need. My 2 cts. Good Luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Sp66stang @rex1965, I have heard though that the early 66 has a 8.5" clutch and late has a 9"... That is my issue.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Check out a shop manual, Chapter 5. Rex was pretty close.

For a '66 Mustang the clutches were 9" for a 200 3-spd and 8.5" for a 4-speed, 10" for a 289 unless it was a HiPo 4-spd then the clutch was 10.4". Nothing is mentioned about early or late.

Why was a 200, 4-spd clutch smaller? Your guess is as good as mine. It was a Dagenham 4-speed built in England so that probably had something to do with it. Falcon 170s also used the smaller 8.5" clutch in '66 while Falcon 200s had the 9".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts