Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving my mustang it will be running at 100%, no hiccups at all, then all of a sudden it will start to "cough" and lunge and start to die. I cant throttle it up. Almost as if the spark is missing or is just not there and hits when it lunges. Sometimes it kills. Sometimes i can get it to a pulloff and it will sit there and ilde like a dream. And I can rev it up all I want without having cut it off.

I was thinking vapor lock but the other morning it did it when i was only 100 ft from my house. And before then it was running great. I dont know what the guages are doing during this because Im usually trying not to get hit from behind trying to get it out of the road.

Any advice would be great. I know its vauge so im not expecting a whole lot but anything would be amazing.

Facts:
New pulgs
New wires
New Points & Condenser
Carb is rebuilt
New Fuel Pump
New Fuel Tank
New Fuel Line, pump to carb
if you need to know about anything else, just ask

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Check all wiring connections, particulary coil feed, ground wire to block. Possible ignition switch. I hate it when they do that. I'd rather is just quit entirely. I'd have to guess ignition as you suspect.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Check the vacuum line from the carb to the spark advance then check the spark advance diaphram to assure it is not cracked and leaking. Good luck!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vacuum line to the spark advance is new, Im 90% sure the diaphram is ok. I can check it to be 100%, how would i go about doing this.

I dont think that this could be the issue because it dosent happen when im reving up it usualy just happens when im coasting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ranger, did you get this fixed, i have the same thing happening to me, here is what i have, new carb new wires new plugs, coil, condenser, points
it idles perfectly, when i say that, i mean perfect,
mine is just registered after about 20 years of sitting, complete restore,
emptied the old gas, changed the gas filter
i drove it for a bout half a mile and it was great, turned around and it started bucking as you described, got home, idles perfect, while manually throttling it, it seems to either flood or starve, not sure
thanks for the post
mine is a six 200 auto line carb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts