Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966 289, with original drum brakes. When I brake the car pulls to the right even though the car is in good alignment. How do I go about adjusting the brake to stop it from pulling to the right? Im going to assume that it is pulling to the right because the right drum is catching before the left drum. Is this a correct assumption or is it possible it is something else entirely? It's starting to frustrate me and its eating through the insides of my front tires! I would love to get power disc brakes but don't have the money for that conversation right now :headscratch:

·
Registered
330 Posts
You might be right, they may need to be adjusted. But I would first pull all the drums off and make sure that one on the brakes especially on the right side is not metal to metal, this will also make yor car pull to one side. You might need to do a brake job.

·
Registered
517 Posts
This is very common with older cars. What you want to do is go behind the backing plate and you will see a rubber plug (well you should, it may just be a hole) that looks like a big pill sticking out a little bit. Should be on the bottom. Pull it out and you will see what looks like a gear with teeth. You can use a screwdriver to turn it. I dont remember for sure which way tightens and which loosens, you probably want to turn down. I forget EVERY time:headscratch:. Anyway, adjust them until it stops to your liking. You may want to take a look at the shoes first as suggested before. Its been a while since Ive done this on a Mustang, but it should be the same as my Mopars for the most part.

It may be partially caused by the rear but the front is a better place to start as it does most of the stopping.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The tires are worn most likely by improper alignment. There seems to be too much negative camber.

If you find a way to get the drum brakes from pulling, please let me know. I've been fighting those things for over 40 years. I went to the Granada front disc setup and no more pull. The cost for the whole thing with new rotors, calipers, bearings, proportioning valve and pads was $450.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Turn the adjusting wheel up(down on your adjusting tool). Both left and right side of vehicle turns the same way for adj as the wheel adjuster is marked L and R unles someone has them installed on wrong side. The Granad/Monarch disc brake conversion is the way to go for cheap and good brakes. I got some from junk yard and with new dual master cylinder and used prop valve and new rubber and hard lines total cost was $150 +-. You have to get the spindle from the donor car also, but the ball joints are same size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.