Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on the pertronix ignitor and a new coil on my 66' 289 2v, i've noticed a huge improvement already. I looked on the Autolite spark plugs website and it says that I can use their double platinum spark plugs. Is it worth the extra cost? Will there be an improvement thats worth the extra cost? Also what are some good performing spark plug wires? And if the autolite double platinum aren't the best what is? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
249 Posts
I hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna crash your post.

I just put on the pertronix igniter II this past Saturday. I wired both wires to my coil, rather than putting the red on the ignition sw. side of the ballast resistor. I actually didn't even notice the resistor, I just measured voltage at the coil with the switch on. I measured 12.4V, which I assumed was enough. At this point I still have the factory coil.

My questions are similar. 1) Which spark plugs?? I like the ones from Bosch. 2) Are the repro. wires ok? I like the lok bettter. 3) Which coil should I use? I'd like to ditch the resistor altogether, if possible.

Thanks and sorry for the intrusion,
Mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
OK...I'll jump in and start a huge debate! I do NOT believe that "platinum" or "split-fire" or any of the other spark plugs they are marketing makes one bit of difference.

Your spark is based on voltage, which is the potential difference across the spark plug gap. With a gap this small electricity cares very little about where it is jumping from or where it is jumping to. Your ignition creates a positive(+) condition on the ceramic side of the spark plug (meaning it strips electrons from the plug). Your engine block is a natural negative (-) meaning it has a lot of electrons. Nature does not like this imbalance and tries to correct it by flowing electrons from your engine block to the spark plug across the gap creating a spark.

This will happen with even a "cheap" spark plug. Nature doesn't say "OH GOLLY here's a platinum plug...I gotta pony up!". Voltage is voltage, and nature will create the spark it needs to maintain balance.

You determine how "hot" this spark is by the voltage generated by your ignition system. The greater the voltage (that is, the greater the difference in electrons) created by your ignition...the bigger and "hotter" the spark. So if your plug will spark just as "hot" based on your ignition...why buy $12 apiece plugs when the regular old Champion or Autolite plugs will do?

And just for the record, spark is created by voltage NOT amperage. If you want proof, drag your feet across the carpet and touch a doorknob. If it was amperage your A$$ would be dead (amperage is what kills people, just ask an electrician)! Instead it just makes...wait for it...a spark!

Not trying to make anyone mad...just letting everyone know how much it makes me mad the they're trying to sell you something you don't need.

Bottom line...the plugs recommended for your engine are just fine! If you want "hotter" spark...upgrade your ignition...not your plugs!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.