Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 66' 289 for my 68'. I have already gotten a comp cam .280 camshaft, as well as a edelbrock performer rpm intake. my next question is what kind of lifters should i use, i have a set of hydraulics but i dont know if anything is better??? I am also planning on putting a set of rooler rockers in, any suggestions?? Im not real sure if i can still use the stock pushrods or if i need to buy longer ones. any suggestions would be greately appreciated. thx Marine210204

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You have to get the type lifter the cam calls for, if it's considered a hydraulic cam, you need hydraulic lifters. If it's a mechanical cam, you need solid lifters. You can't swap the two lifter styles on the same cam, lifter failure will happen.
You can use roller rockers, I'd stay with the 1.6 ratio and make sure you have the correct studs. There's several kinds, not all will accept a roller rocker. You need non-positive stop, non press in studs, you need screw in studs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
289 Build

Sounds like you have a pretty solid setup going. I would use the roller rockers, but be sure of the stud and spring size that you run. As for the pushrods, I would replace them just for good measures, but if you must, you can run them again. The lifters that you use really depend on the cam. If you purchased a roller cam, run roller lifters. If you bought a mechanical cam, run solid lifters. Only use your hydraulic lifters if you have the right cam. Otherwise you're good to go. 289's are great motors. Enjoy!!! :bigthumbsup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.