Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can somebody explain to me when i decide to purchase a set of heads, how do i chose which combustion chamber volumes to choose from, some one explain how that works ?
1966 Mustang 289 C code, trying to make it a faster with a very small budget.
Thanks
Another words which heads are good for a small price

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can somebody explain to me when i decide to purchase a set of heads, how do i chose which combustion chamber volumes to choose from, some one explain how that works ?
1966 Mustang 289 C code, trying to make it a faster with a very small budget.
Thanks
Another words which heads are good for a small price
if you have a c code. you have a 2 barrel carb and likely a 3 speed tranny. and a 2.8 ratio rear end..

not a thing you can do to make it faster. well at least feel faster..

with what you have i would try to find a higher gear for the rear.

beers

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
best bang for your buck would be a set of later model cobra iron heads off Ebay or such...the early 289 heads don't flow worth a hoot...best would be to save save save for a set of aluminum heads, cam and intake...good luck

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The only exact (or close enough to exact) method is to pull your heads and check the combustion chamber volumes, but a less exact way (and still a viable one) is to know eactly what heads you have by checking casting numbers. This will tell you what specs the heads where manufactured with, but not if the heads have been shaved. For example, 66 heads have around 54 cc volumes. Typically, shaving a head for flatness at a rebuild changes the combustion chamber volume very little. That is why this method is usually viable. Once you know the combustion chamber volume, you can now shop for new heads with the same or smaller volumes. Going with a larger volume will decrease your Compression Ratio and lessen your horsepower. Going with a volume much less and your Ccompression Ratio will get higher possibly causing you to have to run higher octane fuel and/or worse case, it could cause some piston to valve interference (which is bad, but would not be likely with a "simple" head swap. This interference typically comes about with head, cam, & pushrod changes/mistakes.)

If you really want to dig into this, research how to determine Compression Ratios and what effect the Combustion Chamber Volume has on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts