Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Convertible 289 Automatic transmission
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone! I am new so please don't flame if this has been asked.

We have a 1966 with automatic transmission and 289 V8. We were having overheating issues and decided to go with an electric fan setup. The problem is there is not enough clearance due to the water pump pulley. We know there is the Ford shorty, but I am really confused on what we need to install. They all say it needs a special pulley and something about timing cover. Anyone have a shorty and can explain what need to install it please?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
4,448 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

·
Registered
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
2,823 Posts
The "shorty" water pumps are usually designed to work with the 96+ 5.0 HO motors and a weirdo timing cover. Worse, those are reverse rotation, intended to work with serpentine belts. It's not going to be an easy, cheap, or sensible solution to your problem.

Changing the water pump length will also change where all the belts go on your 289, so that'll put you in a pickle, even if you find one that's different from your stock pump!

Geeve, your best bet is to find a different fan setup that doesn't stick out so far. Maybe one with two smaller fans. I am sure that's not what you want to hear! What kind of radiator are you running, and do you have a shroud?

For most cars, the best radiator setup is going to be either a 3 core brass, or 2 core aluminum. If you run 4 brass cores, or 3 aluminum, there are problems with both fitment and cooling, due to the extra thickness. Out on the highway, either of them can be fine, but at idle, air has a hard time passing by all of the fins. Additionally, the air heats up as it goes past the first sets of tubes, and is pretty hot by the time it goes past more - which means it isn't doing much cooling with the added row. Aluminum tubes are stiffer, hence wider than each row of brass tubes.

I have also seen people modify their radiator support and run a later 24" big block radiator, but that really should not be necessary for a basic 289.

The most common reasons I see for overheating on a mild 289 are:

Vacuum leak
Improper timing
Not enough coolant
No fan shroud (to be fair, the factory shroud on an early Mustang isn't much count anyway)

These cars don't have a recovery canister, so they just burp out extra coolant when you drive around. Without periodic addition of coolant, they run low, and that makes quite a difference!

Also, welcome to AFM!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply! It had an aluminum 2 row that was not correct, a plastic fan shroud the had 6" gaps (so useless).

I bought a direct replacement with electric fan shroud combo. The radiator fits perfectly without any weird placement. I just didn't take un to account clearance from the water pump.

I was considering mounting the electric fan on the outside and wiring it to push and not pull.

This was the pump I was looking at:

And here is the radiator combo we bought:

·
Registered
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
2,823 Posts
Pusher fans usually have a couple of problems. They block important airflow when going down the road, and force on the fan is pulling the motor's shaft out of its housing, which usually causes them to fail eventually. (being shoved back against the plate at the back of the motor doesn't usually cause trouble).

I think, given that you were sold this package as a solution, you might want to contact them and ask them how to correct your fitment problem.

You really do not want to have to mess with pulley alignment on all your engine accessories and crank. It's expensive and often frustrating. (yes, more frustrating than a stupid fan motor lol)

Hopefully they have a clever way to deal with this! It's not like they didn't know where your water pump would be...

Best wishes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fair enough! I appreciate your knowledge and input. A phone call will be made tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Hands
310 Posts
Fair enough! I appreciate your knowledge and input. A phone call will be made tomorrow.

Thanks
Condition of interior of block, water passages and jacket heavily coated with heat-insulating alkali and scale? Hot flush with a good acidic flush, followed by neutralization by basic flush.

A multi-blade modern plastic fan large enough to fit (17"?) used with a high-grade thermostatic fan clutch and appropriate pulley ratios should easily cool any 289. This assumes thermostat problems have been eliminated, if present. Fitment and use of electric fans is tricky business, presenting variables not easily addressed. One is the time duration between fan turn on and turn off. Mechanical fan clutch-driven moves air whenever it needs it, responds immediately to changing heat conditions within the coolant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Greeve420. Your overheating issue is a sign there is more of an issue than just changing the fan & radiator. I have a 'warm' 289W with a clutch fan, 3 core aluminium radiator & plastic shroud & have no issues with overheating. As others have said in this thread, you need to look further at what is causing the overheating. It way be that the thermostat has failed, fan belts need replacing, the radiator hoses collapse when hot, the existing water pump has failed, the engine is block full of scale, etc. There are many reasons that cause overheating & upgrading the radiator & fan most likely will not solve your overheating issues. Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I got my profile right now!

Thanks
Hello, Welcome to the forum!! Need to find out why it is overheating, radiator/engine/heater core has buildup of rust, clean it out first. Does your car have one of the thin metal fan shroud? Check radiator cap to see if pushing water out.. Make sure you have a 3 core copper radiator, and a 180 to 190 thermostat. Get you a cheap IR temp tool, check and see if you are really getting hot or just your gauge inside is incorrect.. All these new guys, will tell you aluminum radiator, electric fan all this bs, to spend money on, and still have issues, because you did fix the issue, just threw parts at it.. I have a 65 w 3 core radiator, original fan shroud and 180 thermostat,w AC no issues..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts