Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 66 mustang with a 302ci. I recently changed the oil and after I finished I tried cranking it and oil started spraying out, I thought the filter might not have been tight enough so I tightened it, but it still did the same thing. Also when I got the filter at the auto place it was matched to a 66 mustang 289 engine but I'm pretty sure the filter should be the same. any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
welcome to the site!!!!..i would try a different oil filter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Make sure that the oil filter seal came off with the old filter. Sometimes when removing an oil filter the seal will stick to the motor, and when you put on the new filter it will not seal against the block because the other old seal is in the way. I've seen this happen a few times, started making it a habit to check every time. Hope this helps.
-Matt

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) :welcome: Yup. What he ^ said.:gringreen The gasket gets stuck to the motor and doesn't come off with the filter. Then, when you put the new filter on, there are two of them there and it doesn't seal, and the oil comes gushing out. If the filter you got was an FL-1A, or the generic equivilant, you have the right filter.:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Glad that fixed it. Also remember to put a light coat of CLEAN oil on the gasket of the new oil filter before you install it. I don't know the "physics" of it but if you don't it can cause the seal to leak. All you have to do is dip your finger into a can/bottle of clean oil and run your finger over the seal of the new filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.