Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a coupe with 289 (A-code) and 3spd transmission. The transmission works fine, but I'd like to someday install a 4spd. I'll be watching classifieds and such, but in the meantime I'll begin asking questions. Is this an easy switch? Direct fit? Any advice? Leads on a 4spd? I'm in south Louisiana. Thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
The swap is fairly easy from what I remember. :headscratch: Why don't you go ahead and stab a T5 in your car? This way you get an overdrive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assumed using 1966 trans on a 1966 car would be an easier swap and keep it sorta original. Besides OD, what are the advantages of T5?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Shifts easier and have the opportunity to put in hydraulic clutch or cable clutch(or can you do these with 4sp's?) If your going with a t10 or toploader, they can get pretty pricey also. couple hundred bucks more than a t5.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Only good 4 speed is a toploader the t10 sucked and a toploader can get pricey to get.A t5 is cheaper has a better ratio you can have one built to stand up to any power load.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The toploader is definitely the better four speed period! The swap is very straightforward if it comes out from another stang. I think the positioning of the shifter and the length of the output shaft maybe different depending on the vehicle it came off of. I once put one in from an early Falcon on my then 68 Fastback and found that the output shaft was smaller (fewer splines) than most. That is something to look out for, but not very common... Aside from that, I believe all you really need is another shifter and possibly a different yoke. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts