Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what full length headers fit a 1966 mustang with 5.0 and AOD swap, manual steering? Is a mini starter helpful / or recommended? I would rather not use shorties. THANKS!!!!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I used long tube headers, I think Hedman (spelled correctly?). They were on the 289 that I had in my 66; when I changed to a 5.0L, I just transferred the headers and dropped the 5.0L in. Stock 5.0 manifolds will not work, in my experience.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Also, I use a stock starter, no problems so far.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My experience so far is that Hedman will not work.....I called them for the very close application of 5.0 and AOD....and the guy said two things...."try it and see if it works":frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:
I then ask.."what would your technical guys recommend"
Him: "You might try joining a Mustang forum for the best advise":scratchchin:laugh::scream:
Hooker may have the long tubes you are looking for. Someone here had an application but it was months ago and I couldn't find the thread.
Keep in mind the AOD is almost the same width as a C6.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wouldn't tell them '5.0L into a 65.' I didn't, and it worked fine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nope, that's why I said, 'I think.'
But I absolutely know that I had a 289 with long tube headers. Took said headers off the 289 and put them on the 5.0L, and dropped the engine in, fits great. 5.0L, AOD, manual steering. So, if you buy long tubes for a 289 with an automatic, manual steering, it should work.
I should add that the headers I have, that were originally for a 289/C4, when put with the AOD, hug the AOD very tight, and on the drivers side I had to massage a spot in the header, probably about 2 inches in diamter, about 4 inches in front of the collector, but it fit just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts