Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking to purchase a 66 mustang and would like to get some opinions on whether this particular vehicle I'm looking at is a good deal. The purchase price is 15,000. Here are the specs:

This is a very clean and mostly restored mustang the personal touches are up to you. 289 c.i.d. (original block)motor rebuilt has about 2800 miles, with over 400 horsepower, 3spd manual trans(original)Original 280:1 rear. I have original parts nothing was every disposed of. GT40 Heads, roler rockers and performace comp cam rollerized, Holley 650,Edlebrock intake and water pump, MSD Ignition and coil, Griffin aluminum radiator, electric fan, completely rewired bumper to bumper(painless EZ Harnness)you could still add power windows,doorlocksa/c and much more 24 circuit fuse block nothing was removed from harness just tucked away nicely, New lighting socets and plugs. New interior incuding steering wheel,dash pads, doors, seats and carpet ( back to original/black), Paint job is beautiful 3 years new( Red/black strip on hood, easily removed)Kenwood system with cd player, new heater core and heater box, new chrome. 2 1/2 stainless steel exhaust. Has new brakes original 4 wheel manual drum. all rubber and weatherstripping has been replaced. This car is ready for street or show, No dents no dings no rust.I have shown it some and it certainly turns heads on the street. The car looks and sounds great. Cranks and starts on the first turn of the key.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Impossible to say without pics...hard to say without seeing in person. It sounds good, but it may be the same guy who will give you half his money trapped in Nigeria if you send him $200 so he can wire it to your bank account! Don't buy ANYTHING for $15K unless you see it in person and test drive it, look it over with a microscope, etc!

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello.:) That car isn't putting out anything close to 400 hp. A more realistic estimate would be slightly south of 300, depending on what he means when says GT-40 heads. It sounds like it's probably a very nice car and would be a lot of fun to drive, but 400 hp ? I don't think so.:nogrinner That, or any other car, would need to be inspected in person, like Montana's Stang said.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pictures

Thank you both for your replies. I will definitely check it out prior to making a purchase. Just wanted to know if I would be wasting my time going to see it. I absolutely love the older model mustangs but unfortunately for me dont have much knowledge. I attached several pictures which may help you give me additional information.

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
On the last picture, it looks like red overspray inside the wheel well in front of the rear tire. If it is overspray, it's not very professional. The motor looks like it has painted iron heads, (since all the alum parts are polished, I doubt he'd paint them if the heads were alum) if they're stock iron GT-40s, they're somewhere similar in performance to early 351W heads with the 1.84x1.54 valves. The intake looks like a dual plane performer, and a 650 holley is too large for a 289 cubic inch motor, unless it really revs, which a performer intake and iron GT-40 heads probably won't. Iron heads also mean the compression is limited to 9.5:1 unless he's mixing pump gas with race fuel. I'm going with what Veronica said, this motor isnt making over 400 hp. It's probably 250-275 if the advance curve is perfect and that oversize carb is dialed in fairly well.
The car looks nice, but I wouldnt pay 15 grand for it, honestly, not from what I see in the pics, and the description.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.