Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this situation, after few days of not been used, the car starts perfectly. Take for a ride, 10, 20 minutes turn it off and 10, 15 minutes later the car will not start. it would crack over and over but is almost imposible to make it go on.Now by the next day will start perfectly again.
Any sugestion to how can I fix the problem??

Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Does it seem to crank more slowly? It could be that the starter is just getting hot, maybe it's an old starter? My uncle's '72 had a problem where it would not start after driving unless he let it cool for about 15 to 20 minutes. He got a heat shield to stop the heat from the headers and that helped a lot. It still had to cool for a couple minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the starter seems to be good, it cranks with full power but ,the car won't start. If I continue cranking the battery will start go drain but the cranking goes well.After few hours the problem is over and it will start again. My problem is I can't go anywhere trusting that I won't be back for a while.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I really want to say that it has something to do with heat. Heat is the only think I can think of that goes away with time. Let me ponder this a little.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm dealing with the same problem. Search the old threads for "vapor lock" it may be one of the problems. Make sure your timing isn't too far advanced. Make sure your carb is tuned properly.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It could be a flooding problem with the carburetor. Check your carburetor for excess gas BEFORE and AFTER you drive it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'll try that.That, it seems that it has to do with carburator.Thanks a lot Smrtbeenr and Ted 1.

·
Registered
201 Posts
you might have a problem with the automatic choke (if you have one)

when cold, the choke plate is closed, helping start the cold engine. when the engine heats up (5-7 minutes or so), heat from the choke tube (or heat riser tube) causes the bi-metal spring to expand and open the choke plate.

it could be that the choke plate is staying closed. maybe the choke tube came loose from the exhaust manifold, and is no longer heating the choke. or maybe something in the choke came loose or broke

i'm no expert, but thought i'd pass this along

·
Registered
237 Posts
Smrtbeenr is probably on to something. Had a similiar problem - was the carb. Rear floats on 4v were sticking. When I would shut off the car some fuel was left in bowl and if I stried to start afterwards would not start since it was flooded. After it sat and gas evaporated would start up. After you shutoff car - check bowl and see if any gas in it. Should be dry.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is not a "fix", but may help nail down the problem. Next time it won't start, before turning the key press the accelerator completely to the floor and crank. If it starts, that will indicate a flooding condition. Don't go down the "vapor lock" bunny trail. No such thing. Car was designed to start/run when at normal operating temp. No need to redesign.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds like flooding to me, because mine starts even when the car is really hot:yup: , it cranks a bit slow at first but starts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts