Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
66 coupe with AOD installed is on jackstands in the air. Linkage to in car shifter is removed. AOD shift lever is pulled all the way back, which should be 'Park.' Car starts fine and runs fine, which tells me that the trans in in park/neutral. But since the transmission/driveshaft moves, it either isn't in P/N, or someone mentioned that the parking pawl is not engaging. If I remember correctly, when I had the trans pan removed, the parking pawl is engaged by a plunger that gets depressed as the shift lever moves. I am pretty sure that the plunger is being depressed; perhaps I broke the pawl off accidently? Though I don't remember any loud noises or anything.

Also, for those of you that put an AOD in their 60 Mustang, what did you use for linking the AOD shifter to your car shifter?

Thanks in advance.:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Have u had any valve body work done? The plunger should have a small "C" clip on it to keep the plunger from moving too far into the valve body according to your shifting/detent movement. When the pan was off, did you get a look at the detent? At any point, wan the tranny shifting properly or is this new?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Usually putting an AOD into an early model like you have takes some fabrication and the shifter can be one of them. Another is the throttle valve cable to the carb.
As for the main issue, the lever inside the tranny could be in the wrong position, you might want to check that.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The valve body is stock AOD type. When I have driven the car, it seems to work great, except for 'Drive' on the AOD not perfectly lining up with 'Drive' on my 66 shifter. Meaning that thus far, the gears aren't lining up perfectly. Though after I thought about it, it may be because the linkage I bought isn't attached to the 66 shifter through the same hole that C4 linkage is. The hole that is for the C4 linkage is too big for the AOD linkage kit I have, so I drilled a smaller hole higher up on the 66 shifter arm, if that makes sense. I realized last night that this may screw up the geometry vis-a-vis shifter-AOD shifting.
Question...if I drop the trans pan and shift through the gears, should I be able to rotate the driveshaft when the trans is in neutral, even with no fluid in the trans? I could drop the pan for the umpteenth time, but don't want to if there is no point. I figure I could drop it and watch the parking pawl.
I am under the impression that the parking pawl went UP into the transmission body, not 'front to rear' on the valve body. Am I wrong? The plunger on the valve body (if I recall correctly) I thought was for 2-3 or something like that, not 'Park.'
Thanks for the help, again.:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I know what you mean about droppin that dam pan over and over again. If you do..you should see the detent, and how your shifter moves it through the gears....the plunger moves to a different spot in the VB for every gear....part of the detent is connected to the plunger. And yes, I understand what you mean for the first part of your post....and I was thinking the same thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.