Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other night that when i hit the blinkers they flash really slow and the slower i drive the slower they flash. If i come to a complete stop they hold the flash for anywhere form 3-5 second. On the other hand when i hit my emergency flashers(4ways) they work fine and at a good quick speed. Does anyone know whats causing them to work fine in 4 way mode but not in left or right? Its the wierdest thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On the 67 (assume 66 is same) there are two flasher modules. The E-flasher runs from one module while the turn signal runs from the other. Probably just burned out the TS flasher. $2.99 at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello.:) That would be my guess also. :) It would certainly be the first thing that I checked, anyway. The turn signal flasher should be stuck into a little clip on the firewall side of the driver's side air vent up under the dash. It's very difficult to find if you don't know where it is. :)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I agree that a $3 flasher may solve your problem. However, there is another possibility. In general, the lower the voltage the slower the flash rate. I have one car which barely flashes at idle since the alternator isn't putting out much voltage. At highway speed when the voltage is higher the flash rate is 2-3x faster. So you might check your battery voltage to make sure its in the 14V range when the car is running. If its more like 12V at idle that might be your problem and also indicate something more serious you need to check into.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) That was my first thought, also, but, he said that the emergency flashers operate normally, so, that would sort of rule out a voltage problem. :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The emergency flasher works differently and is independent of voltage. If you get an electronic flasher for the turn signals then you will eliminate that as a problem. You should check the charge system, belts and load test the battery just to be sure that you don't have other issues.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
The emergency flasher works differently and is independent of voltage.

Hi again. :) I must confess that I'm not real sure what that even means. :D I understand that the emergency flashers are on a different circuit from the turn signals, hence the two different flashers, but, since they are electricaly powered, I don't see how they can operate consistantly, independent of voltage level. The emergency flashers get power pretty much straight from the hot side of the starter solenoid. The wire comes from the hot side of the starter solenoid to the fuse box and from there it splits off to power the emergency flashers and the cigarette lighter. If anything, they would be even more responsive to lower battery power and alternator output than the turn signals. Having the emergency flashers, which pull power straight from the hot side of the starter solenoid, operating normally tells me that his problem is with something specific to the turn signal circuit. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another possibility is a resistance in the blinker circuit such as a corroded terminal, fuse terminal dirty, etc. This would cause the same symptoms.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) Those are all possibilties, also. It's just that the flashers are cheap and easily replaced. If that fixes it, cool, if not, you are already up in there looking at the wiring pertaining to the turn signals and can start looking for problems with the volt meter, checking continuity, resistance, etc.. I would start with the really easy stuff that would account for all of the symptoms first, though. :)

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) Both flashers are the same. They are your everyday, run of the mill, part number 552 flashers that every Mustang built by Ford in the sixties had in it.

It isn't about being right or wrong. In trying to diagnose electrical problems from a distance on a 45 year old car, you and I both will be wrong a whole bunch of times. The thing is, there's always an objective reality to the situation. Something in particular is making this guy's turn signals act funny. All that we're trying to do is help him get his turn signals working correctly. It could be that you are right. I've seen these cars do stuff a lot stranger than that before. :gringreen And, we have all sort of acted like he only had one problem. It could be, as is very common on these cars, that he has several problems contributing to this one symptom. You just never know on a car that has had 45 years worth of owners telling mechanics, some better than others, " I don't care, just fix it! " :)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I wonder what Daniel found? Maybe he has already solved the problem. :)

I agree that in 1966 the two flasher units should have been the same part. But there can be a difference from one $3 part to the next: some of them just flash a little quicker than others. Its not like they are a high precision part, its a strip of 2 different metals welded together to make a contact that is only SUPPOSED to make contact about half the time.

Except that I drive a car with the same symptom, the only other reason I thought voltage might be involved is that the flash rate varies with engine speed and voltage is about the only thing that would logically be varying with RPMs. Such a voltage difference could make a noticeable difference on the marginal flasher (in the turn signals) but wouldn't be all that noticeable for 4-ways that flashed a little faster to begin with. Of course there are about a million things that COULD cause the turn signal circuit to be acting marginal but until we hear back from Daniel I doubt we will be able to solve this one.

The biggest problem with most of these cars is that sometime in the last 45 years an owner said simply "I don't care." and left the problems to compound themselves.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, i didnt look but im just gonna go ahead and buy a new module. Its not gonna hurt to get one because the car is 43yrs old, and if that doesnt work, ill keep looking. Im just trying to go everything now, get the parts and fix whatever is wrong all at once. But ill keep you guys posted. I appreciate the replys. Btw, can i just get these moduals at Checker or Autozone?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Btw, can i just get these moduals at Checker or Autozone?
Sure. The only problem is your local Checker may have turned into an O'Reilly's since you were last there.:) If not, it will soon. The NM guys are moving to AZ for conversions as soon as they finish here.

That's not really a problem since the O guys seems friendlier than the C fellas they replaced.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hi again. :) I must confess that I'm not real sure what that even means. :D I understand that the emergency flashers are on a different circuit from the turn signals, hence the two different flashers, but, since they are electricaly powered, I don't see how they can operate consistantly, independent of voltage level. The emergency flashers get power pretty much straight from the hot side of the starter solenoid. The wire comes from the hot side of the starter solenoid to the fuse box and from there it splits off to power the emergency flashers and the cigarette lighter. If anything, they would be even more responsive to lower battery power and alternator output than the turn signals. Having the emergency flashers, which pull power straight from the hot side of the starter solenoid, operating normally tells me that his problem is with something specific to the turn signal circuit. :)
Veronica,
The turn signal flasher works on the amount of current draw - more lights = more current = faster flashing.
The hazard flasher works by interrupting to power to the flashers - the number of lights makes no difference in the flasher speed.
They are wired completely differently. If there is not enough load the turn signals will not even flash - they just come on and stay on. The hazard flasher will "flash" even without lights hooked up to it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The emergency flasher works differently and is independent of voltage.
This is not entirely correct. The lower the voltage the slower the flashers flash. I don't know what you mean when you say "independent of voltage", but there is a voltage dependent component to the flashers. And their speed probably isn't a big concern to anyone. :) But it can be useful when troubleshooting.

Bill

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Veronica,
The turn signal flasher works on the amount of current draw - more lights = more current = faster flashing.
The hazard flasher works by interrupting to power to the flashers - the number of lights makes no difference in the flasher speed.
They are wired completely differently. If there is not enough load the turn signals will not even flash - they just come on and stay on. The hazard flasher will "flash" even without lights hooked up to it.
Hi again. :) No, they don't work like that at all on a 66 Mustang. :nogrinner That's how many newer cars work, but not a 66 Mustang. How that circuit works is power source to flasher #552 to switch to lights. You don't have to ask whether that's the turn signals or the emergency flasher circuit because that's how both systems go. They are identical in every respect, with one exception. The turn signals have a keyed power source and the emergency flashers have a constant power source. As I said, newer cars work in the way that you've described, but the original poster is asking about the turn signals in his 66 Mustang, not his 99 Suburban. :)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I am not saying that there isn't some car for which this might be true - but its NOT a '66 Mustang with original hardware.

The two flashers in the '66 are IDENTICAL. They are both 2-terminal, thermal flashers and they are both wired directly to 12V. The turn signal one is wired to the ignition switch, the hazard one to the back of the cigarette lighter. They were intended to work the same way. They both are wired in series with all of whatever lamps should flash. They both work by interrupting power to the bulbs.

They are the cheap flasher sold by nearly everyone in existence:

AutoZone.com | Flasher | 11-15Volts2Terminal2to3LampsforTurnSignal/2to6LampsforHazardWarningThermalBi-MetalVariableLoadFlasher

1966 FORD MUSTANG Flasher

NAPAONLINE®

O'Reilly's picture isn't very interesting so I left them out.

And, yes, if a bulb burns out they normally flash FASTER.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts