Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1966 mustang coupe 6 cyl. 200 cubic inch engine
and i was wondering where can i buy a brake booster specfically for this car? or put one from a newer car that may work?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Get the OEM style booster from Master Power. Nothing modern will fit directly, and you really don't want to mess with home-made brakes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The best thing to do is istall front disc brakes. Best thing I did on my 66 Coupe/200-6. It actually stops in very short distances now from freeway speeds. One hard, fast stop with the drums from higher speeds is going to get you brake fade. 9 inch drums are no fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have a 1966 mustang coupe 6 cyl. 200 cubic inch engine
and i was wondering where can i buy a brake booster specfically for this car? or put one from a newer car that may work?
I just had a kit installed (289 w/disc brakes) that I ordered from speedway motors because even with the discs, it took gorilla power to stop the car (literally unsafe). Speedway was the only source I could find. I don't know about differences between the 6 and 8. I suggest you call them and get a tech on the line. Even though mine worked out, a couple of mods were necessary. I had bought one from Advance first and it didn't come close to working. I was told that older Mustang ll's and Granada's can work, but I don't know that for sure...plus they're probably all gone from salvage yards. Good luck.
BTW, my pedal effort is MUCH less now.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My '66 had manual front drums. I converted it over to power with a booster kit from National Parts Depot, and used a '67 master cylinder for 4 wheel drum brakes. I also used a little kit CJ Pony Parts sells to upgrade 65-66 to a dual chamber MC. The car stops incredibly well, like a modern car. No more Flinstone brakes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts