Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this question has been asked, but there are mixed reviews.
I am looking at this 600 CFM carb\intake combo kit from Summit. It is supposed to be their street setup.
I'm wondering if anyone has used this kit, or one like it, on their stock 289 C-Code. I know many would say replacing the ever reliable 2100 to be crazy, but I'm looking for a little more kick without sacrificing fuel economy, I get 20+ on the highway with 2.80:1 gearing and my C4. The engine has about 10,000 miles according to the PO and it runs like it so i really don't want to tear the engine down, especially since it is finally time to drive it here in Washington. I already have dual exhaust and pertronix ignition other that it is completely stock, heads, cam, manifolds, the lot.
Would this be a good upgrade? I would think that with vacuum secondaries it wouldn't bog down the engine with to much fuel if I went hard down. That said this is my first mustang so what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any thoughts on a carb that would work well? I was thinking about an Autolite 4100 since they were on the mustangs from the factory, but they are hard to find and expensive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2 cents worth ...I've been looking at doing a similar upgrade to my C code as well. (so I don't have first hand experience, yet) Seems there are a lot of different ideas and theories about what is the best size and brand carb to use. I'm bias toward the 4100 mainly because it has a great reputation and it gives a more stock look as well my original aircleaner will fit no problem. I have read many times that ford found the 1.08 ( 480 cfm) gave the best overall street performance compared to the bigger 1.12 (600 cfm) on an otherwise stock C code (and A code as well). The responsiveness and economy greatly improved. The 1.08 was built specifically for this purpose. It was even offered along with the old cast iron intake as an aftermarket performance upgrade kit. Newer manifolds are probably much better but brands aside, I suspect this is good infomation to consider when selecting carb size (cfm). A 600 will certainly work but unless you plan to do further performance upgrades in the future, the 500 cfm like David suggested, is probably better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts