Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple issues with my c4 transmission. I rebuilt my trans and installed it, only to find it pouring fluid from the front seal area while running. Pulled it back out and noticed the lower part of my front seal catching on the face of the bushing that the torque converter rides on. The bushing had migrated about half way out. So I pressed it the rest of the way out, and tried to reinsert it. I was able to push the bushing back into place using only my fingers, and moderate pressure. It is/was a new bushing, and was wanting to reuse it. Is this possible by using a product such as loctite to hold it in place? Is this a common problem, or should I order a new one? I did install the bushing with the cutout facing in the wrong direction on the first install, but there isnt really any gauling. And the bushing has no traces of spinning.

While investigating this issue, I broke the pump down and examined the internal pump gears. They had considerable pitting from corrosion. Now I know a lot of people will say just buy a new gear set, and this may be the case. However, this is a pump, not a mechanical drive, so it contends with different dynamic forces. My question is, how robust are these gears, and are they able to withstand inperfections such as pitting without failing? Has anyone ever reused these with inperfections and lived to tell about it? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
A gear pump generates pressure by the tight fit of the teeth to one another as they rotate. I would be more concerned about the output of the pump that about the teeth failing.

BTW, I have never seen those pump teeth pitted. That would tell me there was water in the ATF.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply!

I was thinking the same thing about the pitting, but on further examination it looks almost like a low grade/quality steel, type of issue. Or like you would see when a bearing is not grounded properly, and caused by electrical current.

The trans was worn but not full of water, possibly a condisation issue from sitting outside I suppose.

It had good pressure, so I'm not concerned about that. So guess I will continue to run it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went by the local Transtar location, and picked up a set of pump gears, $14.73. Cheap enough... When in doubt, change it out...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts