Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well now that all has been explained to me, it seems that i will be changeing the cam shortly. Im currently replacing all the suspension so when thats done, ill order a cam. I know that when i change teh cam i shoudl go ahead and do the timing chain as well. My question is will i have to replace the whole valvetrain? Like valves, springs, rockers, studs, pushrods, etc? Im looking for a cheap easy boost in power so im just curious on whats all involved. I understand i can take out the radiator and grill for the install so that the motor doesnt have to be removed? Is that correct?

Thanks guys, youve all been a great help.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You are correct about the radiator, and timing chain. The cam manufacturer should say if you need different springs, rods, etc... You will need new lifters, possibly different length rods, and depending on the cam, new springs and rockers. How old is the engine(miles)? Has it ever been rebuilt(miles on rebuild)? What heads are you using?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its just a stock everything 289 c-code, added mods are in my sig below. It only has 48,000 miles on it. I mean it runs fine there isnt anything worng with it or the cam, im just looking for a little more power.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
do both the cam and heads at the same time, or it won't be worth your time. You may even hurt performance. For a flat tappet cam, replace the lifters too. This is a lot of time and expense, and isn't worth it until you get heads to go with the mod. THe heads if stock will not be able to flow what your intake, carb and cam are trying to deliver to it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
do both the cam and heads at the same time, or it won't be worth your time. You may even hurt performance. For a flat tappet cam, replace the lifters too. This is a lot of time and expense, and isn't worth it until you get heads to go with the mod. THe heads if stock will not be able to flow what your intake, carb and cam and exhaust are trying to deliver to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts