Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I put new outer tie rods on my 66 a while back and I checked em out today and the boots on both of them are torn! I must have either put them in to tight or didn't grease the contact point between the rubber and the spindle. Anyway, I'm gonna be getting it aligned here in the next week or so and I was wondering if it's acceptable to just put new boots on the tie rods instead of buying all new outer tie rods again. While I was doing some suspension up front, I came across and extra tie rod boot. Could I just use one of those?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your tie rod ball joint boots are easily replaceable- they're really just slip on dirt covers, as opposed to the sealed boots that are on your other suspension ball joints.
If the ball joints aren't damaged, I would just replace the boots. The alignment shop whould be able to tell you right away if the ball joints are damaged.

You can try to check them yourself before you take it in, but it does take an experienced feel.
Jack the front of the car up. Grab the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and try to rock it back and forth, pivoting it on the axis of the spindle. If you feel play (like a "clunk" from side to side) then have a friend repeat rocking the wheel while you lay under the car. While he's rocking the wheel, grab a hold of each of the steering ball joints in turn - you'll feel a clicking coming from the bad joint.
Repeat on the other side of the car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.