Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's an automatic, and the needle bounces around whenever I'm driving it. At least it used to.

Had to take the speedo off the back of my dash to replace some bulbs. Somehow, in the process, the speedo cable got yanked out of its tube and now it wont go back in. Car runs fine, its just now I dont have a speedometer. Not the speedo worked that great in the first place, but still. :hihi:

·
Registered
342 Posts
the speedo cable got yanked out of its tube and now it wont go back in.
Looks like you'll be getting a new speedo cable!:bigthumbsup
That tube is where it is crimped, if I remember correctly! That's why it won't go back in!:winks

·
Registered
920 Posts
Not sure why it quit working. Pull the cluster back out, unscrew the cable and see if the squared core is sticking out thru the nut.

I don't remember which end that inner cable comes out of the housing, but it will, from one end or the other. Pull it out, clean it and wipe it with a light grease. If the wrapping in the outer housing is worn thru, then all bets are off.

With the rotational direction of the core and the spiral wind direction, the combination keeps lubricant from being delivered up into the speedo head.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm off to buy a new speedo cable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have not lubricated your speedometer this is a good time to do so. Remove the instrument cluster and disassemble the speedometer. You will need to cut about a foot of cable off your old cable so you can insert one end in a reversible drill motor and the other end into the speedometer mechanism. Lubricate the small bushings while spinning the speedometer cable. Wipe off the excess and reassemble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts