Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while i'm waiting for my sprint convertible to return from the body/paint shop, i'm replacing the interior

i got an estimate from a good uphostery shop to recover both front buckets and the rear bench. i will supply the kit (i'm planning on the TMI Pony kit) including new foams. i will strip down the exiting seats, and clean/paint the frames. the shop will supply all the other materials.

quote was $300-$350 labor

does this seem like a reasonable price? based on their posted rates, it's about 4-4.5 hours work.

they also quoted $700 labor to replace the convertible top, including the top, rear window, and well

600 for parts including top, window, well - that seems a little high

anyone have any recent experience with these? do these numbers seem in the ballpark?

thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I paid 300.00 to have 2 buckets and the rear seat covered.
I supplied the covers and he striped the seats and we cleaned up the frames first.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
What looked to be the most original top I could find was from NPD for about $270 and their well liner is $32 so the pair can be shipped to you for right at $300. You also need the soft stuff that goes under the top (called padding - which it is NOT) and the original style of that from NPD adds another $113. You would surely need new weatherstrip as well so add another $85. And those tack strips are probably pretty ratty by now and you could spend another $150 on those. Spring cables run not quite $20. Throw in a few SS staples (that NPD doesn't sell) and it sounds to me like your shop has done this before and knows it takes about $600 to do it right and that is assuming some stuff does not need replacing.

You seem to have never installed a convertible top; I have on several cars. If they know what they are doing and do decent work, $700 is not a bad labor charge to install a top on any car in my opinion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info

i thought the price for the seats seemed reasonable,

the top price did not include parts and labor for cables and tack strips - the ones i have should be ok. it would be another 200 parts and labor for that.

total price for the installed top is about 1500

you're right, i've never done this job, and based on what i've read it's not a good diy project for a first timer. i'm sure this shop will do a very nice job, just a little sticker shock i guess. i'll probably shop around a bit

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts