Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that by eliminating my stock cooling fan and switching to an electric would be freeing up horse power. Im not sure i want to spend that kind of money nor do i trust it out here in the 130+ degree temps of Mohave Arizona, so has anyone had any experience with teh Flexalite alum fans? does teh weight reduction make any difference in how well the motor will run? Also, what size shoudl i use.

Note: i have p/s and a/c

·
Registered
342 Posts
I use a Flex a lite fan, and it has worked great for me. Make sure you use a shroud, I believe that makes the biggest difference. Just made a trip from GA to Ohio today, matter of fact, in my 66, and she ran steady at the same temp all day long. Me, I was sweating up a storm, but the engine ran great.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my car still has teh original oem shroud. Is there onother one i am to use?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would stick to that original shroud. Measure it, then buy a fan that will fit inside that shroud. If you still have the spacer from your old fan, you should be good to go. Flex a Lite sells them in various diameters.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I believe the general consensus on the stock, 4-blade, clutchless fans is that they are barely adequate at best. At speed on the highway the air moving through the radiator as a result of the car moving is more than enough to keep the engine at the proper temp; where the stock fan is truly lacking is at idle and low speeds (stop'n'go traffic) when it fails to move enough air. This can especially hurt your a/c performance in traffic.

The electric fans move a constant volume of air even at idle, so if you have a/c or are in traffic often, it would be a good choice. As for trusting them, I think the only concerns are: 1) how much air (cfm) needs to be moved, and 2) can your alternator handle the additional current demand.

I will let others here espouse upon how many CFMs you need to move. I always thought 2,500cfm was about right, but I'm not as well versed as some people here in this area.

As for the alternator, the original was what, like 38 amps? But who actually HAS an original, untouched alternator? If you do, then you will need a higher output piece. If you have a run of the mill parts store swap-out, I believe the parts houses rebuild them to 60A anyway (in an attempt to make one part fit more models). Probably sufficient, but if you have lots of other current draws like a big stereo, etc it might not be.

What have you been running recently? What kind of luck have you had? If your mechanical fan has been sufficient and you're not excited about the electric route, then you'll probably be fine going with the Flexalite as gcroix suggests.

Hope that helps.

Michael

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes ths car is unrestored at best with most original parts inculuding the alt. My main puprose is to "free up" any extra hp i can and was told a lighter or elct fan would free up a little hp and save stress on the motor/make it run smoother. Ive just heard stories about if i dont get a good elect fan then i will have problems. Well, i dont know what size, brand or cfm elct fan to get, thats why i was just looking at the fela lite alum or even plastic? fans as a replacement. I do live in 130+ degree temps in AZ so idk. If i can good a good fan that isnt gonna cost me $300 or more then i could go that route i gues.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Good post Mizzou. I did have an eletric fan from Old Air. That fan did everything Old Air said it would. Moved PLENTY of air. However, it did pull a lot of amps and it was kind of noisy. After the flex a lite, I can still feel air being pulled through the radiator, though certainly not as much as electric. I didn't notice any difference temperature wise electric/flex.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I came across the article in Mustang Monthly on a Spal electric fan set up. Looks pretty nice and the kit includes everything. I'm thinking too of an electric fan conversion on my 66 with a performance 289. I already have a two row aluminum radiator which keep the car nice a cool even in Phoenix, but I like the idea of freeing up a little HP and regulating temperature even better.

Has anyone heard of this Spal unit and how it compares to Flexilite?

How To Install an Electric Fan - Mustang Monthly Magazine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts