Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 200 ci engine in the 66 coupe i recently got has no vacuum lines attached to the vacuum line spots at the front of my engine. can someone tell me where they are supposed to go, so i can put them on. The engine is running horribly.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Got any pics? One should be for spark advance. It runs from the distributor to the carb. If you have an automatic one will run from the intake manifold to the transmission. You should also have a large one running from the carb base or intake manifold to the PCV valve in the valve cover. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here is a picture of my engine
The green arrow is the line going to the distributor.
The red arrow is the line going to the automatic transmission.
The white arrow goes to the PCV valve.

Sorry about the sloppy arrows, I'm not that good on the computer. The yellow arrow is the fuel line, I got a bit carried away with the paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
1966 coupe 220ci vacuum line questions

Hello jimlj,
FIRST - -GREAT picture - -you are not bad on computer.

Could you double check your labels. I think you may have a few not quite right.

Look at your motor and follow the line from the distributor to the carb area.

Double check please. I think in your haste to help you may have written the names a little off.

NOT big deal - -you are trying and you are helping. That is the main thing.
Trust this old guy - -I have posted a few gems in my time.

Be well - -KEEP posting great pictures and perhaps anpther picture showing the distributor as well. I think it will help.

Print Dad

·
Registered
291 Posts
Lets try this again. After reading Print Dads post, and looking at the picture again, I can tell my fingers got busy typing before the brain kicked in.
The yellow goes to the distributor. It is ported vacuum. No vacuum at idle.
Red goes to the transmission.
Green ties into the smog BS. This is a Cally car with smog pump still attached.
White is going to the PCV in the rear breather hole of the valve cover.

I'd shoot a picture of the distributor and connection, but my camera got washed with my pants a few weeks ago and I've not replaced it yet.

To the OP, I see from other posts you don't have an Autolite 1100 carburetor, so this won't help much with your car.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts

Hello jimlj,
FIRST - nice going. I knew you would get this straightened out.
Trust me - in my haste to help I have made my fair share of little Boo-boo's

Your picture was/is great. DO NOT think it is of no value. You gotta remember a lot
of people read these responses. Your picture WIll help the OP and others that will see it and get a pretty good idea of where the lines go.

I wanted you to be the person to re-label the picture. I guess that's the teacher part of me.

Please get another camera and take lots of pictures. They are a GREAT help.

I for one will use your picture in the future.

Be well - - work safe -- - Print Dad

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picture of vacuum fitting

Here is a picture of the one of the vacuum fittings that has no lines attached. Can anyone help me identify what should be attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another missing line picture

Here is another picture of a missing vacuum line --coming off the carb. Can anyone help me identify where a line that comes from this outlet should attach?

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
dreadrush,
Your pictures are of a newer engine than a 1966. Look at the top of the "log" intake manifold and tell us what the casting number is. A '66 would have C6DE as part of the number. Ford used this engine in vehicles up to at least 1982

·
Registered
2,913 Posts

Hello dredrush,
I'm am very pressed for time right now and I don't have the right answers YET.

I can tell you - -the "port" at the front of the motor is a thermal switch.
Does your car have a dual canister on the distributor? These advance units had 2 little ports. One was for retarding the motor and one for advance. This was Ford's idea for better fuel economy.

The second picture show a "high hat" attached to the carb. it was part of an anti back-fire system. Not certain where the little vacuum line would go but I would assume up into the air cleaner. I will check the books tonight.

Could you post a picture of the distributor?

Do you have all the pieces of the smog system? and are you trying to get back original or just make the car run.

If you are trying to just make it run - I would for sure - -cap the 3 little ports on the front switch for now.

I will check the books later.
That's all I got for now.

Print Dad

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) The thermally actuated vacuum switch on the thermostat housing ( the thing on the front with places for 3 vacuum lines :) ) isn't supposed to be on your car at all, so, there isn't really a 'right place' for any of them, but, how that works on cars that are supposed to have them is a line from a manifold vacuum source goes to the fitting on the bottom. There is a T in that one and it also goes to the fitting on the vacuum advance diaphragm housing on the distributor that is closest to the distributor. A line comes from a ported vacuum source on the carb and goes to the fitting on the top, and, the fitting in the middle goes straight to the other fitting on the distributor vacuum advance diaphragm housing. But, none of that stuff is supposed to be on your car in the first place. :nogrinner When you say 'running horribly', what exactly does that mean? The more specific you can be, the easier it will be to help you out with this. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vacuum line for power breaks

Hi, I'm in the process of putting power breaks in my 1967, 200hp. It a three speed, do I connect the power booster hose to the red arrow? Thanks

Here is a picture of my engine
The green arrow is the line going to the distributor.
The red arrow is the line going to the automatic transmission.
The white arrow goes to the PCV valve.

Sorry about the sloppy arrows, I'm not that good on the computer. The yellow arrow is the fuel line, I got a bit carried away with the paint.

·
Banned
828 Posts
Hi, I'm in the process of putting power breaks in my 1967, 200hp. It a three speed, do I connect the power booster hose to the red arrow? Thanks
hello;

no, that is an egr smog valve in post 8. the photo in post 7 is not the location you want either, that us a thermal vacuum switch.

you connect the brake hose to the intake manifold. there should be a square block screwed into it that has hose fittings on it. the hole might have a plug in it.

use a rubber power brake hose or it will collapse.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
no, that is an egr smog valve...
I can't answer your question but I can clearly state that there was NO exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) on a 1967 Mustang.

Since this is a 4 year old thread you might be better served by starting a new one of your own. It doesn't cost any more. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts