Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in need of any advice that can be given. I would like to convert the drum brakes on my 66' to disk. I'm tired of having to slam on the brakes and coming into a SSLLLOW Stop... Just too unsafe especially with my lil' son in the back. I need a decent conversion kit that comes highly recommended.
Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Check out discbrakes.com :bigthumbsup. If you have 4 lugs and want to stay that way not many kits out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1966 Mustang Coupe Brake Convesion

I purchased my disc brake conversion fron Stainless Steel Brake Corp. I am very satisfied with their kit. It was complete with everything I needed except for the brake lines at the master cylinder. Bending those up was not that difficult, and I understand that they even have those lines in their kit. My 66 is a 6cylinder car, so I have 4 lug wheels, and SSBC has the kit for that. I went from 9" drums with no power, to power disc brakes. Man what an improvement. This car STOPS now, no more white knuckle moments. The kit was about $1100, so some may call it pricey, but ya gotta ask yourself, is my life worth $1100?

·
Registered
56 Posts
1966 brake conversion

I have a 200cid 1966 coupe and I am in the middle of doing a brake conversion as well. I upgraded to an 8" rear end so for money reasons I'm leaving drums in the rear, but I bought a great kit from Dennis at www.discbrakeswap.com and it came with everything to go from 4 lug to 5 lug and the power booster. It after tax and shipping it was only around 600 bucks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Summit Racing also offers a nice drum to disc conversion for manual and power brakes. They offer them for 4 and 5 lug Stangs. Another good thing is they offer them in single or four piston quantity. I plan to in the future upgrading my converted 6 cylinder to V-8 front end to manual disc b/c these drums are knuckle killers LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
i picked up a mercury granmarquis rear disc setup off ebay for 200$ before shipping great cost effective kit if u already have 5 lug

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds just like what I would do. Im trying to watch my money. I have 4 lugs in the front and 5 in the back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I know what you mean, with my 289cid it takes me a minute to stop. When Im at a red light I have to almost slam on the brakes so it wont go forward in idle.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Wait your car is a 4 lug in the front?That means it was a inline 6 and they never changed out the spindles those drums are under sized for a inline 6.I'll bet money they left the inline 6 springs in the front too you might want to change those while your at it.Being its a 4 lug that discbrakeswap link is the cheapest safest way to get disc and 5 lug out of the deal.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've done a lot of looking online at disc conversion kits. I see a previous poster metioned discbrakeswap.com that's the route I was going to go until I called Wilwood. I found out that for a few hundred more I could get a Wilwood brake kit with new 4 piston callipers which is a big improvement over the remaned single piston callipers from a Granada. When you call Wilwood just give them the info on the car and they will give you the part number for the brake kit and a second number for the flex line kit. Then look those numbers up on Summitracing.com. I found that I could get the exact same kit from Summit for $100 or so less than what Wilwood wanted to charge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts