Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, My Name is Matt Pike, Im from Adelaide , South Australia.
I have a 66 coupe , 289 auto, and have aquired a disc brake and booster kit second hand.
I have two issues.
1) I think i have bought a booster for a manual car as it has Linkages at the pedal end and doesnt look like it will fit.
(question)... can i still use this booster and get a new pedal connecting rod, or do i need to start again??

2) The calipers look like they come from a (1975, i think) Ford Granada to the best of my internet searching. However, they didnt come with bolts to bolt them to the stub axle assembly.
(question) where can i buy these bolts?

Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
40,046 Posts
Welcome to the site!! I moved your thread for a better response.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I see that well over a hundred people have looked at this and none have replied. I think that is because you do not give enough info that is very helpful.

Second hand can mean a lot of things. Did any info come with it? Is it a proper kit or just a bunch of parts someone said was a kit?

Did a master cylinder come with the booster? If so, measure the total length of both bowl where the gasket sits. A drum one should be 5" and a disc 5 1/2". On top of that is the differences for manual vs power is another issue I can't answer. The rods are different because of the setback of the end of the piston in the bore. Some even have an adapter plate for the pedal.

We need to see some good photos of what you have. Hope this stirs up some action for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Driveaway,
I thought i added as much info as possible...
So here is what i have, which has been taken from a 66 mustang, manual, im assuming.
1) stubs and discs
2) calipers without mounting bolts - presuming Ford Granada
3)booster and master cylinder (complete) looks like from a manual car as it has a heap of linkages at the back and by googling it seems that an auto version only has a single rod with an eye for the pedal pin.

If i could work out how to attach a picture i would...this seems tedious and the only way needs a URL???

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Europe :)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
To attach a photo is a several step process. The url thing is to insert one.

On the top line of the reply box is a paperclip. Click on that. A box will appear with several 'browse' lines. Click on the first browse box. It will open a box to drill down in your computer to were the photo is. When you find it, click it and then open. It ques that photo to be uploaded. Click the next browse and it will take you to the last photo, so easy to find the remaining ones. Repeat as needed. Then when you have all the photos selected, click on upload. When the browse boxes go back to the original unselected state, click close box. The photos will not be in the reply box, but down in the 'attach files' box when you scroll down into additional options (the big blue line). When you click 'submit reply' for your post the photos will show below your comments in a line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks K4JOE JOE
It looks like i was given a booster/mastercylinder for a manual gearbox mustang. It has a linkage setup on the back as opposed to just a pushrod used by an auto trans mustang. I would love to know if i can get around this but...it seems i will have to go and buy a new one to suit an auto trans mustang

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Bingo! I can post a pic under ADVANCED reply.
Thanks,

so im looking for mounting bolts for these calipers and im wondering if i can use this booster on an auto trans 66 mustang by getting different linkages...if so where from?

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
the calipers appear to be ford, and from what I can see they are not bolted to the caliper support, but have a wedge with spring to hold them in place. the booster does not look like anything I have seen for a ford product. I hope you can get it together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks,
i have used the original master cylinder that i had for the drum brake set up and used the calipers. i went to the bolt store and got high grade bolts and used them.
All seems ok. Unboosted the pedal feels better than with drums.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts