Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am removing all parts of the dash and have come to the ignition switch. I cannot figure out how to remove this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a tool or a trick?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello.:) First, you get the lock cylinder out of the switch by putting the key in and turning it to th accessory position, then put a paper clip into the little hole on the face of the lock cylinder and then turn the key a little further in the counter-clockwise direction and the cylinder will come out. Then, take a 3/8 wrench and remove the nut from the stud on the back of the ignition switch and then remove the wires that the nut is holding onto the switch and then unplug the connector itself from the back of the switch. Then grab the switch, push it towards you and twist it and it will come loose from the dash. Nothing to it.:)

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
I'm try to do the above but I don't have the key (I did pay for the car lol)
Hello.:) The bottom line would be that you will be needing to replace all of that stuff. With no key, you can't get the lock cylinder out without destroying it, and you will almost certainly destroy the switch itself in the process. The only alternative would be to destroy the lock on your wallet and have a locksmith come out and make you a key.:gringreen All new stuff would probably be cheaper, though.:)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Veronica is right.

Without the key, you can't remove the switch properly.

You could have a new key made, sometimes you can find a locksmith that will do it for around $40, if you are nice and explain your situation.

Here is another thought: I have had this experience with more than a few old cars: The key gets so worn down and the lock gets worn down as well with time and use, that a paperclip and a little patience got my '66 started when I couldn't find my keys. I just used a big paperclip and jiggled around with it. You could also try a steak knife. I know this sounds silly, but if your lock is original you may be able to coax it over to the ACC position to get the lock out; all the more reason for a new one!

Good luck,

Michael

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought my 66. The owner I bought from lost the keys. I had to all new buy locks. In order for me to install the new ignition lock, I had to drill out the lock. Just go slow and take your time and you will not have to replace your switch also.
Rusty

·
Registered
471 Posts
Veronica's instructions still work great :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup. Had to change my switch today and everything went great :). Thanks Veronica

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) Thank you. :) A 66 Mustang is still a 66 Mustang. The key cylinder design hasn't changed on them. :nogrinner

·
Registered
126 Posts
So why must you remove the cylinder before you remove the ignition switch?
I don't understand that. Why can you not disconnect the wires, reach up behind the dash, push the switch forward, twist counter clockwise and remove the switch.
I ask because I don't have a key.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) That's because there are two interlocking pieces. One is on the back of the lock cylinder and the other is on the front of the switch. That's why the whole lock cylinder doesn't come out when you try to remove the key. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello. :) That's because there are two interlocking pieces. One is on the back of the lock cylinder and the other is on the front of the switch. That's why the whole lock cylinder doesn't come out when you try to remove the key. :)

OK so I guess since I have no key I will have to drill out the cylinder. Do I drill with a small drill bit in the center and then a large bit, the size of the cylinder? Any pics or video of this?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) I would try starting out with something like a 1/4 inch drill and se if I could get it out from there. That should tear up the tumblers enough to be able to turn the cylinder around to where it needs to be. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts