Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This car has sat in a garage for a couple of years. I have it running well once it starts. Changed filters, new gas etc. It is very difficult to start when it is hot after running awhile. It starts after cooling off. I remember this from the 1960's, but not what caused it. It has a single barrel Fomoco carburetor. I suspect some of those little levers and adjusting screws are seized. I don't know the carburetor that well and I haven't obtained a manual yet. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
1966 Mustang Coupe Six Cylinder

Hello Greenflash,
First - welcome to the forum. You will find a load of info here.

To start with I think I would offer a few ideas.
I like to start with the easy stuff

1. - I would check the condition of the battery
2. - Check the cable connections especially the ground cable
3. - Double check the timing - - could be a little advanced
4. - Add some "Sea-foam: liquid to the gas tank - (cleaner)
5. - Spray the carb with sea-foam spray.

NOTE - The sea-foam may make the car smoke so don't be nervous.

I would start with these things

Print Dad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put some high test gas in and some lead substitute. Wasn't really sure about that stuff but some friends having vintage cares said it wouldn't hurt. Sprayed some carb cleaner down and around. Discovered the lever from the black choke adjustment had fallen off. The clip was missing. re-attached that. So far so good. What is the advance setting. I forget. The 1960's were so long ago. Battery is great Had to replace awhile ago.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
1966 Mustang Coupe Six CylinderH

Hello Greenflash

The initial timing is 6 for standard and 12 for automatic. This is set with the vacuum advance line disconnected and plugged. I would focus on the initial timing and let the advance unit do it's thing.

Here is a great link that will give you some specs.

http://www.fordcobraengines.com/documents/engine_specs-64-73-6cylinder.pdf

Hope this helps.

Print Dad

·
Registered
37 Posts
as far as you carb goes, if you are not that into fixing it, I bought one a year ago from napa for 150.00 with core return,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tied all those and more. thanx. Amazing what one forgets about 60's carbs etc. I've got it running pretty well now. Could probably use a nice trip somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.