Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Chris from California. My battery on my '66 keeps dying after I don't drive for a while. I have rally pack which I think sucks up a lot of power. Any ideas for saving my battery other than disconnecting the terminal cables?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Hiya, welcome to the site. We should have some ideas on that problem.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) :welcome: The rally pac isn't killing your battery. You have charging system issues of some sort. Either your battery won't hold a charge anymore, the alternator is not charging the battery for some reason, or you have something else shorting out and drawing down the battery. That would be a pretty short list of suspects there, since the horns and the lights are the only things that have constant power. Everything else the key has to be on. Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Following up on the thought posted by Veronica...Do you have any aftermarket items installed which require constant power (stereo, alarm, GPS/Navigation)? If so check them as well. As Veronica said, you should be able to eliminate anything that is hooked to switched (by the key) power only.

Also, do you know for a fact your battery is good and taking a charge? When your engine is running you should show at least 13.5V across your battery terminals. If you show anything less you have an issue with your charging system/battery.

I feel your pain...electrical problems SUCK and are a hassle to track down. Make a list of everything you check so you aren't running in circles and just work through the system one thing at a time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.