Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 1966 mustang that has the original exhaust manifolds on it and I'm trying to find a good way to remove all the rust off of them and get them back to looking like new. I would appreciate any ideas on products to use. I've heard of evapo-rust but i don't know if it works well or not. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
My friend Darren just got his exhaust manifolds tumbled. He says they look like new again. As for me, I can't afford things such as that, so I bought a can of Duplicolor 1200 degree spray paint in silver, and I like it. It is actually close to chrome and it is metallic. I know there are other ways, but those are 2 that come to mind.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Have them dipped or sand-blasted. The sand-blasting will leave them looking new and you will want to coat them with something to prevent rust - dipping may provide a smoother finish unless they are badly pitted then the pits will get worse. They will have to be coated after dipping too.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Mine aren't pitted bad, just have light surface rust and I used this Factory Gray Hi-Temp Coating - Underhood paints - Paints product from Eastwoods and this http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z313/Renee_237/choketube2.jpg is the best pic I have showing one of my manifolds up close. I didn't clean the rust off since I never removed the manifolds from the car, I just painted over them with an acid brush, I bought the pint can.

The paint has held up well and I just painted some of the exhaust system clamps with it last month. I wish I had this paint on hand when I had the motor out of my Caprice.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Run them through the hot tank at the machine shop. They will come back bare and clean. Then brush on Rustoleum BBQ black available at WalMart or nearly anywhere else. When first heated the BBQ black will smoke and smell bad but once its fully cured the manifolds will be nicely gray-black. Any later dings in them can be touched up with more brushed on BBQ black.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts