Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so while i was under the car checking out all the new suspension we (my mechanic and i) were looking at the exhaust. He mentioned that it would give the car a little boost if i put bigger exhaust on it. I told him that i didnt want to change because i liked the sound of the mufflers i had and didnt want to give it up. But upon closer inspection it looked like whoever installed the mufflers just welded in 2.5" mufflers to my 2" pipes. At the time, the muffler shop (now out of biz) said "ill throw on some super trubos". There is no name on the mufflers so its a mystery to what they are.

My question is, does anyone make an "exhuast pipe kit" in 2.5 inches, less the mufflers, so i can use my existing ones? Ive got the bigger carb, K&N filter, headers but it all gest stuck in 2" pipes. So im hoping that opening this up will help it out and make some more power. I doubt it will be anything i can notice but at least it will be better then the stock setup right?

I asked this before i think but when i swaped out my stock exhuast on my '99 GT for an SLP Loudmouth catback, i actually lost bottm end power. Is it becuase it was a straight through resinator/muffler not a typical chambered mufflers? I would hate to have that happen to this car too.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You dont want to go with that big of exhaust on a 289. You WILL loose hp and torque, stay with the 2 Inch.:bigthumbsup
Well, thats what i thought too and figured thats why i lost bottom end with my '99 GT when i went from stock to 2.5" slp. But with adding the bigger carb, intake manifold, headers and soon to be cam, shouldnt i open up the exhuast a little bit? Maybe 2.25 at least? I hate to loose the sound (of whatever unidentified muffler i have) but maybe get a better flowing muffler at least?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The engines make more power with headers uncapped - that is a 3 inch open exhaust. I doubt you will lose much power by going too big on the pipes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts