Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the back up lights on my 66 fastback. I never checked to see if they worked before I replaced them but they don't work now. Before installing the new ones, I checked the lamps with a VOM and they were fine. After installation, I checked for ground continuity and they are grounded. Anyone have a troubleshooting plan from here?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you check your back up light switch on your shifter?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, all I did so far was to change the lights. Where is the switch located? I assume it's located on the tranny but I doubt I can follow the wire back from the lights.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's on the drivers side with 4 wires runnung to it. Did you check the fuse? I'd check it first then the switch.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello. :) If you have an automatic transmission it's part of the neutral safety switch and is located on the side of the transmission. If you have a manual transmission it will be next to the shifter underneath the car. The wiring for the lights is part of the tail light harness that runs from the trunk, underneath the driver's side scuff plate in the door jamb, behind the driver's side kick panel, and then joins up with the underdash harness. The wiring for the switch on a manual transmissin car comes from under the dash, underneath the carpet and then drops down through the floor right behind the shifter. On an automatic it goes through the firewall and goes down along the firewall near the exhaust over to where the shift arm and kick-down linkage is attached to the side of the transmission. This might help. :)
The Care and Feeding of Ponies: Reverse Warning Lights

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad fuse...I live out in the boonies and will have to wait until I get into town and get a replacement. Hope that's the end of it. Thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You were right about the fuse, I replaced it and they came on...one problem though. The driver's side light is much brighter than the passenger's side. Any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts