Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hello everyone,
So i've recently burned out my first front driver's side wheel bearings, and am trying to make this replacement a "do it yourself" fix. Ive already taken off my front tire and wheel, and also the drum. All that remains of my wheel bearings now is what you see in the picture below. I was able to get the inner bearing off of the spindle, but as of now I'm in a stand still due to I dont know where to go next. Can any mustang enthusiast help out a fellow classic lover? All help is greatly appreciated.

-Puma
IMG_0107[1].JPG

IMG_0108[1].JPG

IMG_0111[2].jpg

IMG_0112[1].JPG

IMG_0111[1].jpg

G

·
Welcome to AFM! Let me move this to the Classic Tech section for you and get you some help. Thanks for joining and we'll get you figured out.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
93 Posts
Your spindle is trashed and must be replaced. Sorry.
I must agree, once those bearings let go like that, the spindle is gone. Bonus, its not too difficult if you have some mechanic skillz. But I wouldnt do it if you're a novice, taking the coil spring out can be dangerous if not done right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool we'll ive done extensive work on old vw's and jeeps so i should be able to handle this. any recommendations on a good website i could order some solid parts from?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
cool we'll ive done extensive work on old vw's and jeeps so i should be able to handle this. any recommendations on a good website i could order some solid parts from?

Hi,
I agree, replace the spindles. However, you "do not" have to remove the springs. With the wheel removed, place the jack beneath the LCA and jack the suspension enough to be able to place either a 3 X 3/4 X 4-5" hardwood block or 1/4" steel plate between the frame lip and the on an angle where, the shock bolts toe the UCA. This takes the "load off the spindle. My location is a little different, but, the idea is the same.
See pix

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
kenash's procedure works well, or you can rent a coil spring compressor from napa, advanced, o'rielly's.. whoever, its up to you if you wanna remove them or not

as for spindles, you can get a pair off eBay or find a pair a local junkyard. depends if you have an I6 or V8 as the V8 spindles were larger and stronger to handle the increased weight

·
Registered
47 Posts
Marcpuma - is that on the driver or passenger side? The reason I ask is because I have one spindle for a 65-66. I think mine is for the driver side. It's in perfect shape. I bought it this spring and because of a snafu I only got one spindle instead of a pair.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi,
I agree, replace the spindles. However, you "do not" have to remove the springs. With the wheel removed, place the jack beneath the LCA and jack the suspension enough to be able to place either a 3 X 3/4 X 4-5" hardwood block or 1/4" steel plate between the frame lip and the on an angle where, the shock bolts toe the UCA. This takes the "load off the spindle. My location is a little different, but, the idea is the same.
See pix
True, but remember that is a bomb sitting there just waiting to hurt you. I rented a spring compressor from the local parts house, inside spring compressor, and it worked great. You wont need to take the spring out, but having that tool in place would make me feel better. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
namlo -
its the front driver's side spindle for a 1966 I6. can you post up a pic or two of the spindle? i may be interested in taking it off of your hands.
-everyone else -
thanks for the help/suggestions. i would feel better renting a compressor too, just to ensure a good and thorough replacement of the spindle. i will keep posting pictures of progress throughout the procedure, to hopefully help anyone else who runs into these situations. thanks again guys and keep feeding me some good info!

-puma

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey guys,
whats the "easiest" way to take out the inner bearing shell? any good tools i might have overlooked?

cheers

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
hey guys,
whats the "easiest" way to take out the inner bearing shell? any good tools i might have overlooked?

cheers
Hi,
I use a long shank brass drift. If you peer in through he outer bearing side, you should see, or be looking for, a break on each side in the rear bearing seat. Placing your drift into each of these two openings alternately while tapping, will push the bearing ring out the back. Going back in, make sure the seat and the ring is clean. I lightly, "very lightly", add a film of light oil, just so it's not dry. I use a large dia socket, I'm guessing it was 1.1/16 or 1.1/8?. Once , I insure it's square to the entrance, I start tapping the back of the socket using either a "dead blow" or a copper faced mallet.
Hope this gives you some insight.
Good Luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts