Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I'm sure this subject has been talked about before, but couldn't find the answer I needed. My gas gauge is the only original gauge I have hooked up. When I turn on the ignition key, the gas gauge goes way past full and stays there, no matter how much gas is in the car. I'm wondering what this could be. I have put an extra ground on the gauge, thinking that might be the cause. That doesn't seem to make a difference. I replaced the IVR and no difference. Can the IVR run only one gauge? Any help would surely be appreciated.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
313 Posts
Go to where your gauge plugs into the tank and stick a test light on it and see if it pulses. If it does your sender maybe bad. If it doesn't I don't know but its not getting a signal from the gauge.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go to where your gauge plugs into the tank and stick a test light on it and see if it pulses. If it does your sender maybe bad. If it doesn't I don't know but its not getting a signal from the gauge.
Thanks, David. I'll give that a try. I'll try anything. I can't stand not knowing how much fuel is in the tank.:worship

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The gauge will max out if there is a short in the circuit.

Disconnect the wire from the sender. Does it go to empty or stay on full? If it goes to empty, your sender is bad. (Shorted internally)

If it stays maxed out, you will have to pull the instrument panel. Then disconnect the yellow-white wire from the back of the gauge. If it then goes to empty, the wire back to the sender is shorted somewhere on between the gauge and the sender. If it still reads full, the gauge terminal is shorting to ground. Check to make sure the posts are not contacting the backplate of the instrument cluster.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gauge will max out if there is a short in the circuit.

Disconnect the wire from the sender. Does it go to empty or stay on full? If it goes to empty, your sender is bad. (Shorted internally)

If it stays maxed out, you will have to pull the instrument panel. Then disconnect the yellow-white wire from the back of the gauge. If it then goes to empty, the wire back to the sender is shorted somewhere on between the gauge and the sender. If it still reads full, the gauge terminal is shorting to ground. Check to make sure the posts are not contacting the backplate of the instrument cluster.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Joe. I'll also try this. I hope one of these things helps.:worship

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I did what Joe said and unplugged the wire at the sender. The gas gauge went to empty with the ignition on. So, it looks like I'm going to be replacing the tank sending unit after I use up my full tank of gas and then order my sending unit. Hopefully, this will solve the problem. Thanks again.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That'll fix it.
I wanted to let you all know that the problem was the fuel sending unit. I replaced it and the fuel tank now reads empty since I took all the gas out of it to repair it. I just have to fill it and make sure the seal doesn't leak. Thanks to all who commented. You guys and gals rock.:bigthumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.