Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taillights are dim, tracked it down to ground wire. Have replaced headllight switch with no success. When I test the hot wire going to the taillights with a light meter and connect to a separate ground the light meter flashes very bright. Other than replacing the original wiring, which will probably happen later, is there any ground point between the light switch and the taillights I am missing so I can at least drive until I replace the wiring?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
There should be a black ground wire screwed to the metal support in the trunk that the filler tube passes through with a ring terminal.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Check the pigtail in your bulb socket and confirm correct bulb and it being inserted correctly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions, I will check those two things. Been trying to find all possible grounds for 3 days. The lights had been working fine since I bought it about 2 months ago so bulbs are probably ok. All of these parts I look at on the car are original and I'm finding more places that could cause problems. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello.:) The tail lights on the 65/66 cars ground themselves out through the tail light housing to the body. There isn't a ground wire. If they were working fine and then developed this problem fairly quickly, I think that the first thing that I would do is clean up both ends of the negative battery cable and the engine ground strap that goes from the passenger side cylinder head to the firewall. Also, replacing that tail light harness certainly wouldn't hurt anything. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts