Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to replace the harmonic balancer on a 6 cylinder, automatic. The rubber was completely gone so when i took the bolt and fan pulley off the outer edge of the balancer fell to the garage floor with quite a clatter. I rented a puller but have had absolutley no luck getting that thing off. I even stood on the wrench with my foot while my dad wedged the flywheel but the thing wouldn't budge. Any suggestions? Already have the center bolt off, that was easy. Can't get the balancer off. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Try putting the bolt back in about 3/4s of the way and use the puller. You may have to carefully heat the balancer up with a torch and then try removing it while its still hot.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you don't have a means of heating it, do as sugested with the bolt. Then apply force with the puller & give the pulley body some cafefully placed smacks with a hammer.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Don't hit the balancer hit the end of the puller you put the wrench on. You may have to get the radiator out of the way. Tighten it up, hit it, tighten it up, hit it and so on. Good luck. There's been a few of those on here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was weird, the first puller I rented was a combo puller/installer and I had never used that kind before. Couldn't get the balancer off with it so I rented a conventional puller and the darn thing came right off. Then I used the combo to install the new balancer and it went right on to. So I guess in the end it was worth it to have both. Thanks for the advice guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts