Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, never had much use for my mustangs heater over the years, because it was usually during the winter time when i was working on it the most so it was not being driven. I am to a point where i dont have much left to do and i want to drive it when it gets cold. So... i have a few questions.

I can turn on the blower, it works perfect. Air comes out, its fine.

I play with the levers, the one for the defroster works, i can hear it and feel it devert.
If the middle one is at the very top it makes a vibrating noise like no air is getting through... and if it is at the bottom i can feel a good current.

I really dont mess with the one on the far left much as it does not seem to make a diffrence.

My biggest question is, Is there a way to make it work as a "vent" blower just blowing no heated air, and, how do i make it blow hot air.

Probably a very simple thing that everyone knows but me but i figured i would ask on here and save myself alot of time.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The "Heat" lever on the far left opens and closes the air inlet door from the cowl vents. Up, it is closed, and no air should be able to flow through the system; down, and air can flow through.

The "Temp" lever in the middle controls what proportion of that air goes through the heater core, and how much bypasses it. In the up position, all the air bypasses the heater core; all the way down is max heat, as it all should go through.

You have already got the "Def" lever figured out.

With the heat lever down and the temp lever up, it sort of works as a vent blower, but as long as you are moving, it's not really any better than the normal fresh air vents.

My description is for a '65. I dont know, but maybe they switched the "Heat" and "Temp" lever positions for '66, as it sounds like your middle one is the "Heat". Or maybe someone swapped the control cables.

It is important to note that any time you use the heater for any function, the fresh air vents need to be closed. This is because both the heater and the vents share the same inlets from the cowl vents, so it won't be very effective with the air coming in to be split between them both.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
based on this i belive someone has put that controle back together wrong, i have discoverd that the TEMP lever is controling the HEAT function and the HEAT lever is Controling the TEMP function. A simple fix though.

Thanks for the great informantion Joes72/65 :bigthumbsup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.