Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
How do I find out if my 66 coupe came with yinyl top?
VIN is 6F07T269603
Data Plate is
65A X 26 25D 55 2 6
I looked on the websites I knew of, but couldn't find how to tell if vinyl top or not....
Thanks

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) There's no way to know for sure if your car came with a vinyl top unless you have an original build sheet or the original window sticker. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Veronica.....I didn't know that...guess there are a lot more things I will learn from this site.....sure am glad it's here and thanks to all

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) It would be nothing short of miraculous if his car still had the buck tag. His car, being a Dearborn car, would have actually had one at one time, (the San Jose cars didn't and the Metuchan cars sometimes did and sometimes didn't) but on the 65/66 cars, the buck tag was attached to the top of the inner fender back near the passenger side hood hinge, right out in plain sight. There's no way his car still has it and he just never noticed it.:)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My Metuchen, N.J. built 67 still has it's buck tag. I know most of them were ditched, but I pulled the buck tag from a 67 in the U-Pull-It yard and it shows the addition of the vinyl top. Here's how the data reads:
D80
14 G24 7T01T289119
65A 8 2A
VINYL TOP-2

I guess, without the paperwork or buck tag, you won't find any documentation. I did notice on a 67 coupe that I had, the holes for mounting the vinyl top moulding (where the rear qtr. panel and roof meet) were already stamped out, but leaded in. Maybe if you have access to taking a look on the interior side, you can see evidence of the fastening nuts for that moulding.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) Just to make something a little more clear on the buck tag thing, here's how that went on 65/66 cars.:gringreen The Metuchan cars had them. The Dearborn cars are said to have had them, but I haven't ever actually seen a buck tag from a 65/66 Dearborn car, nor do I know of anyone that has that I would consider a credible source. I have also never seen the screw hole on the inner fender of a 65/66 Dearborn car where the buck tag would have been on a Metuchan car. That does not mean that the Dearborn cars couldn't have had it attached somewhere else, but they definitely didn't have a buck tag over by the passenger side hood hinge, like a Metuchan car. None of the San Jose cars had one. Starting in 67, things became a bit more uniform. Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) You can't get a Marti report on the 65/66 cars. Ford destroyed all of those records long ago. Marti's stuff starts at the beginning of the 67 model year.:)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I heard somewhere that the Dearborn cars that did get a buck tag had them mounted on the right side of the radiator support. My 67 Dearborn coupe didn't have one on it when I got it. I never checked for any tell tell signs of it. Also heard that for a very short time the San Jose built cars had one . What year and period is beyond me.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) The San Jose cars definitely did not have through the end of the 66 model year. After that, I really don't know, but, prior to the 67 model year, they definitely did not have them. I've also heard that about the radiator core support on the Dearborn cars, but, I've also stripped the original radiator core support of several dozen Dearborn cars to paint them, and I've never seen the screw hole for a buck tag there either. On the later cars, like 69/70s that's where the buck tag is. I think maybe some people are just a little confused about the year model of the cars on that one. But, the buck tag could have been somewhere else :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
San Jose only used buck tags starting in late 69 and then 70. They don't follow the same codes as Dearborn or Metuchen. For example, "3" stands for "racing mirrors", not "RM" as the other plants used. In 1970 the tags were installed with wire, not screws, first around the driver's side hood bumper and then later near the hood catch. Very easy for them to fall off or be removed as they weren't as secure as the screw on ones.

In the 65/66 models Metuchen was the only plant to use buck tags. Dearborn didn't start using buck tags until partway through the 67 production.

(All this info is from my new Marti book I got a few weeks ago that he just released. The book deals specifically with any tags that were used on Mustangs and Cougars.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks All, I have looked the Stang over and cannot find a buck tag.....can't even find a hole for a screw to hold it in place.....anyway, thanks all

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
There is a way to check for a vinyl top. If the headliner is out, look at the base of the sail panel where it meets the quarter panel.(look on the inside) On the cars with the vinyl top there will be holes there where a chrome strip used to be mounted or traces of the holes.

On the cars that didn't have the vinyl, this area should be leaded in. (the factory used only lead at this joint) The chrome strip was only added to vinyl top cars at the bottom edge of the top. I mentioned this before, but since you can't find any other proof, this is going to be the only way to find out.

·
Registered
896 Posts
On the buck tag Vinyl Top-1 or 2 designated black or white. If you do not have the buck tag, you could do like the Greek said and look for the holes in the sail panels for the mounting holes or check your drip rails, vinyl top cars had an aluminum strip in theirs to hold the vinyl down and may still be on your car if it had a factory vinyl top.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.