Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right here it is, I've got a problem with my instrument panel lighting in my 1966 Mustang. I replaced the old bulbs with LED ones and now the panel doesn't turn on...
What I've tested and am still clueless:
- I Made sure there's a proper ground to the cluster, which there is. A black cord connected to the back of the cluster and connecting to the dash.
- I tested the lights while they were in the cluster
- Checked the fuses; replaced a few and made sure the others were fine
- Just replaced the headlight switch
I fear I may have fried the wires or my voltage regulator..
What's going on here, how do I get those lights on??

Also, the turn signals and headlights/parking lights still work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wish I could claim to be an elec expert, but I'm not. I'm usually here seeking advice like you. There are some very knowledgable folks on AFM!

I've found this product (here's the link for your '66): 1966 Mustang Wiring Diagrams

and a good multi meter to be extraordinarily helpful.

Looks like your dash lights are on circuit 19. That wire shud emanate from your headlight switch, then branch off to the various bulbs. I dk the degree to which you have access to the rear of the gauges and cluster, but you might try a jumper wire between the correct slot on top of the headlight switch (owning that CD above would show you) to one of the bulbs and see if it lights. Perhaps something has gone awry where the dash light wire splices off into nine different directions (?)

What I learned recently is that those LEDs should be drawing much less elec than the stock incandesant bulbs. So doubtful they'd blow a fuse. Your other dash elec funtions still work because they are likley on a different circuit. For eg on my '73, fuse #F5 "works" the dash lights only. Other circuits and fuses are responsible for other functions.

As to the voltage reg, I switched to a one wire alternator. Which means you toss the voltage reg away. I don't know if that's in your future plans or not - just putting it out there. Would eliminate the voltage reg from ever causing an issue, obviously. (I'm not into maintaining a stock appearance. You might be, I dk).

In my case, I have all new aftermkt gauges. I attached a barrier strip to the chassis behind the cluster and ran all the illum wires to it. Along with redirecting the dash light wire from the headlight switch (w/ a small inline fuse along the way) to the strip. Works perfect and bypasses the stock fuse box. FWIW.

Good luck. Personally, I hate elec issues. People tend to dislike what they don't know, and auto elec gets the better of me every time!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts