Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1966 Mustang will not start with the switch. The ground has been checked. Is there a fuse in the fuse panel that could keep the key from turning over the engine? Any suggestions about what to look for?

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AFM! I moved this to the Classic section to get you some help. Thanks for joining!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello James1020,
There is NO fuse that would keep the carfrom turning over with the key.

There are a LOAD of other possible issues that could be causing your
problem.

I like to start with simple things and go from there
I also like to do some testing to try and narrow down the possible
causes. So in your case--hereis what I would do

1.- Clean and tighten battery cables at least at the battery fir now.
You may want to clean the ground cable at the block to be certain
you have a good ground

2.- Open the car door and see if the interior light goes on. This will tell you
a little about the battery. It is possible you have a low/dead battery

3.- Shift the transmission in and out of park (if it is an automatic trans) to be sure
the shifter is seated. There is a swith called the neutral safety switch that we will check in a bit
4.- For the next test - Many people like to turn on the headlights BUT it requires 2 people. You can do almost the same by watching the interior light with the door open. So you have a light on - - turn the key to the starrt position and see if the light dims or goes out. If it goes out - A strong indication of a battery issue.

5. - If you suspect battery issue - you can have the battery checked at your local parts store. Most of the time it is a free service BUT woukld require taking the battery to the store.

6. - If you can't have the battery tested - -you could try jumping the car from a second vehicle using jumper cables.

So upto this point we have focused mainly on a battery issue. There are other possible issues such as a bad SOLENOID. Often when the solenoid is going bad
or even perhaps bad - you will hear a clicking sound as you turn the key to the start position.
There are ways to by-pass or jump the solenoid - -BUt I will not overload you with
info just yet.
I should mention - there could be a problem atthe starter

My advice - -DO NOT start replacing parts until you know for certain they are bad.

Let's see what happens with the interior or headlight trick and post results
We can then move on to the next phase of checking.

I know this may seem like a lot of testing BUT it will save you $$ in the end.

Let us know - - Print DAd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Print Dad.

It is definitely not a battery issue. Starter and solenoid are brand new, have double checked them and they are good.

I am getting very little spark at the starter solenoid when you cross it with a screw driver.

All the instruments on the dash are working, the floorboad light works and does not dim when you turn the key to start.

Would a bad regulator or alternator cause my problem?

Thanks for your help.
James

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Have you checked the points, they might be gone.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Print Dad touched on this, now it is worth a try. If you have an automatic transmission, try pushing the shifter forward as far as possible while you try to start with the key. If you get starting activity, the shifter rod to the transmission needs slight adjusting.
Best,
Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts