Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was excited because I thought that i would be able to install my 8" rearend and new leaf springs. I got the shackles off on both sides but the bolt wont come out of the eye on the front end. I've tried everything I could think of. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm desperate.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If it is seized in the bush, you may have to cut each end off with a reciprocating type saw. It will mean getting a new bolt unfortunatly.
I'd think twice about using a gas axe unless you are familiar with it.
But I guess if you were you wouldn't be asking this question.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i had to use air chisel to get mine out. Wedged the flat chisel blade (about an 1" wide) between the frame and the bolt head and slowly was able to hammer it out with that. You could grind the bolt head off on the inside and hammer it out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem solved

Thanks guys, I got them off today. I used a saws-all, so the only thing now is to buy new bolts and put the new ones in with the new 8" diff.

·
Registered
266 Posts
gah! same thing happened to me when i replaced my springs. The bolt would turn and turn but it wouldn't pull out. I sawzalled mine too =/

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'm curious how you got a saws-all in there......I tried and even with my car upside down on a rotisserie I could not get one in there. The blade stroke is just too long. I ended up soaking mine with PB Blaster every day for a week and beating them out.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Those front eye bolts are 3 shades of suck.

I used a sawzall and a grinder with a cutoff wheel. I too had the problem of the stoke being too long, but I just kept going back and forth from grinder to saw and eventually got through. I didn't want to use a cutting torch, seemed too likely to cause collateral damage and burn through the bracket.

I even had to beat in the new bolts with a mallet, I'm not sure I could get them off today if I tried, much less 40 years from now.

Misery loves company.

·
Registered
896 Posts
It doesn't help that they have the bolt higher than the lower edge of the rocker either so you can't get a good angry hammer swing at it....

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I believe it's a combination of two problems:
1. The bolt is rusted to the metal sleeve of the bushing
2. The bolt has undergone so much stress over the past 40+ years that it is mildly sheared. Basically, the middle of the bolt has moved off-center with respect to the ends of the bolt, making for a ridge that needs to be overcome.

There are several solutions to make for an easy removal.

1.Sawzall the spring and then grind the head off the bolt with a die-grinder, as well as maybe the back of the bolt.

2.Sawzall the spring, then cut the remaining eye in half with a die-grinder. Watch for burning chunks of rubber bushing.

3.Sawzall the spring, then sawzall the head of the bolt.

If I remember right, #2 was my option of choice.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The only good news: You won't have to replace the springs or bolts for another 40 years. I guess that's the point of it, they're not made to come off easily because they shouldn't need to come off very often.

Paul I forgot about the chunks of flying (hot) rubber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts